Can my cabinets hold weight of cast iron sink?

Brandywine72December 18, 2013

We had to dismantle our kitchen for foundation work and are now reassembling it. With the new configuration we were able to reuse most of the cabinets installed by previous owners, but not the countertops and sink. The cabinets are a pretty low end, made in China, shaker style. How do I know if they will be strong enough to hold the weight of a new enamel cast iron sink?

The previous countertops were granite. If the cabinets held granite with a stainless steel sink, will they be strong enough to hold wood counters with an enamel cast iron sink? We like the look of such a sink as it fit more with the old character of our house and we are trying to down play all the stainless steel look of the kitchen.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

Yes, in any configuration.

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 11:56PM
GreenDesigns

Define low end. Get out your tape measure. How thick is the face frame? Sides? What type of internal bracing do the cabinets have? How thick is the back? How is it joined to the sides? Do you have pics you can post? I've seen some cabinets that could support granite short term, but would slowly buckle over time. Add in a cast iron sink full of water and it could be a much quicker disaster.

I have to ask, with you essentially remaking the whole kitchen here, why wouldn't you take the opportunity to use materials that would last the long haul? Get better quality cabinets?

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 7:40AM
Trebruchet

Your cabinets will be fine.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
CBP fusion pro grout (what is the correct color to use here?)
Hi, I ordered light quartzite tiles in 8'' x 24'' ...
ezpond
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
How many cabinet estimates do you get?
Uggh, I tried to search but am giving up. We are considering...
najames
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™