Backsplash ideas and faucet recommendations

katy-louDecember 18, 2012

Hello. I'm new to the forums and we are in the midst of an unplanned kitchen remodel. We've chosen santa Rita Venata soap stone countertops, carved soapstone sink, cherry cabinets, and will have windows with soapstone sils above the range and sink. We were going to have soapstone backslashes behind the range and sink dovetailing into the sils, but what about elsewhere? Height from sink/range to windows is 8".

Second question. Just started looking at waterstone faucets. Do the pull outs work well? Does anyone have a gantry? Is it huge?

This is finally starting to feel real - has been on going since summer! Finally have insulation and plaster starting tomorrow!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digiweb

I think standard backsplash height is 4". I have a Moen pullout faucet which I do like. It's much easier to rinse large objects with a pullout.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 5:58AM
katy-lou

Suggestions for backsplash material? Soapstone or something else?

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 10:38AM
digiweb

Not sure, do you have pics of the materials you have chosen?

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 11:52AM
remodelfla

I have soapstone in a somewhat modern setting with large format glass tile. Yours sounds somewhat craftsman like. How about square ceramic tile?

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 12:09PM
katy-lou

Dh is oiling up the wood and soapstone samples. I'll post pics soon The house is a 1920 craftsman We had a dishwasher leak, and one thing has lead to another- has ended up with us taking up four layers of flooring, finding the original hardwoods underneather continuous boards to the living room, taking the walls down to their studs, reframing all walls, finding rotted sil plate and rim joists, excavating next to house and putting in french drain, replacing rim joists, new subfloor, pouring new driveway, new electrical service, gaining access to galvanized plumbing and replacing with copper, removing the dropped ceiling and raising up the support structure to accommodate the original height ceiling thoughout kitchen, and replumbing the radiators in the house. Been ongoing since August!

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 2:26PM
katy-lou

Cherry cabinets, walnut table & built in benches (potentially), soapstone countertops, Doug fir trim to match rest of house, fir loewen windows

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 2:37PM
digiweb

Nice. I'm currently absolutely loving Motawi tile. I don't know if it'll work for you. I keep picking out really bold tile choices and then discovering that when you have a wall of them tht it's too much. There are some Craftsman designs where they put an occasional tulip here or there. And check out the Salmon Green Poppy border. It's lovely!

I've done a lot of Arts & Crafts research but I did abandon it as I said. I know that one day I will do the brick over in Arts & Crafts. It's perfect for that.

statusceramics.com
carreauxdunord.com
motawi.com
prattandlarson.com
bosettiarttile.com missiontilewest.com oakparkhome-hardware.com
craftsmantiles.com

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
Custom Cupboards
Has anyone used Custom Cupboards kitchen cabinets?...
tgmoran
Help, my new white lacquer cabinets are peeling!
Hello, We reno'd our kitchen 1.5 years ago and installed...
cece1213
Faucet Finish
So, I've done many searches, and read dozens of GW...
Carrie B
Very cool island sink with retractable faucet
Has anyone seen this Sink by Blanco? It is made to...
Dietitian
10 cm gap between cabinets and steel - help!
Hi all, Our kitchen designers have messed up their...
waytonc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™