Accessible Kitchen

gail363December 30, 2013

My husband is in a wheelchair and we are remodeling our home. Before the remodel, we had a galley kitchen. I have taken down the wall and now the kitchen is part of the great room. We will be installing an island with a sink. We will also have drawers for glasses and dish storage in the island, as well as, the dishwasher On the wall behind the island, we are adding a microwave at countertop level. In the breakfast room there will be a small "coffee bar" that will have a lowered sink with small refrigerator drawer. My husband is not a cook, but I do want him to be able to enjoy the new kitchen too. If you have any suggestions for us I would be very thankful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

My best suggestion would be to engage the services of a local design professional who is an expert in accessible design and who carries cabinets that can be done with the tall toekick that is a hallmark of accessible design. I realize that as a family member, you've done more than average research in how to be wheelchair friendly, but a KD who is an expert in the field has probably done 20-50x more accessible kitchens than you have and you will greatly benefit from the knowledge and personal interaction that they will bring to your project.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 7:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debrak2008

Here is a thread I started in October. There are a lot of good tips.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchens with aging and disabilities in mind

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
Can you help me make an idea board?
After looking more realistically at our kitchen renovation...
dmeah
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Anyone used solid surface backsplash with granite countertops?
I am considering doing full backsplash in Corian (or...
Carol Vesier
What wall oven under $2500 do you have and love?
What single wall oven <$2500 do you have and love?...
enzaenza
Prep sink location
After a lot of talking on another thread, I took sena01...
Jennifer Weinman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™