Kitchen Remodel - Need Help With Granite Counter Color

shep0December 16, 2013

Hi everybody-We're in the 'home stretch' of our kitchen remodel, and are having a hard time deciding on a color for our granite countertops. We have "Painted Linen" (creamy/off white) wall cabinets, "Tea Leaf" green cabinets for the island, and a hammered copper farmhouse sink. Floors are a faux-slate tile called "Sedona Slate Cedar". Photo is attached.

We initially thought a goldish-copper granite might work. However, after bringing back a few samples from the granite yard, those colors seem too similar to the floor. We're now thinking possibly going darker (a dark brown with a consistent pattern).

Any suggestions/feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michellemarie

Yellow River

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 11:00PM
snookums2

I picture something medium light, kind of golden too.

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 11:11PM
gabbythecat

You might consider Tropic (Tropical?) Brown. It's darker brown with crystal type flecks for highlight. It's a fairly consistent pattern, nonporous to the point that it almost can't be sealed. It's also fairly common - don't know if that would be a factor for you? We just got it - love the look. It might work well for you as well - ?

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 11:15PM
bookworm4321

Is Tropic brown lighter than Antique brown? I really liked the latter, but don't recall seeing Tropic anywhere.

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 8:02AM
gabbythecat

I don't know - never heard of Antique brown. Tropical Brown looks like, umm, milk chocolate - the overall tone, I mean. It has little flecks of darker brown and black, along with the flecks of crystal..It has no movement to speak of - very consistent pattern. It has no drama, other than simply being there and looking nice! It is readily available, which is partly why it is not a high cost stone (can't remember what cost group it's in)...I think it's called "Tropical Brown", btw - I may have misspoken earlier.

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 8:20AM
shep0

Thanks for all the suggestions so far--keep them coming! I think we're leaning towards the 'brown' granites (versus golden) right now...but will make another trip to the granite yard to look at options in the next week.

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 4:54PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

If you are looking for consistency, you might want to do the countertop in a solid color countertop (which would leave out grainite with all of its variations). IMO when you have a patterned floor, you will never be happy with a countertop that also has a pattern.

By the way, I think your floor is gorgeousl.

This post was edited by walnutcreek on Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 17:20

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 5:19PM
Gooster

Things are looking great!

If you are willing to consider other colors, look for Costa Smerelda. It is a lighter green with movement. It would go great with linen, dark green and copper. Since it is a different color than the floors, you won't get the clashing you get when the pattern size and color are similar. But, it might be a lot of green.

Traditional Kitchen

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 5:59PM
gabbythecat

We have a patterned floor - I guess it'd be considered patterned, anyway. It's a brown toned tile, a bit similar to the floor in the first picture in this thread. Our cabinets are kind of interesting - rustic hickory, which has a fair amount of contrast with the dark toned knots, the lighter straight grained wood, and all. The tropical brown helps to tie it together...I think I would have been afraid of something solid colored - every crumb would be visible! I'm a good housekeeper, but I'm going to obsess enough as it is, keeping that granite perfectly clean!

Maybe I have no sense of design. I don't know. At least nothing in our new kitchen clashes horribly, does it??? :-P

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
Quartz Countertop Color
We are going with quartz countertop for our kitchen...
kathy6421
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
CBP fusion pro grout (what is the correct color to use here?)
Hi, I ordered light quartzite tiles in 8'' x 24'' ...
ezpond
Carrara tile backsplash with carrara countertop
I found a few images in the photos section of houzz,...
crl_
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™