Remodel cost????

dntutleyDecember 18, 2012

I just got the estimate for my remodel. Cabinet cost are $9500 plus labor to remove old and install new for a grand total of $20,000. How does this sound? Accurate, high or low? It's actually the company that my wife works for and they are not giving any break on labor at all.... just standard labor and profit.

By the time I add appliances and countertops I am over 30k. Seems high and would like some help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DCJersey

Yes, kitchen remodels are expensive! Unfortunately, its hard to say whether the quote you got is too high without a lot more information. How big is your kitchen? How many cabinets are you purchasing? What kind of cabinets are you purchasing? Where are you purchasing them from?

Spend some time reading old posts on this forum and you will learn more than you ever could asking a general question like this.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 11:29PM
camphappy

I like the car analogy. The cost of a new kitchen is about the same as the cost of a new car. The price will vary depending on the size, brand, style and quality you want.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 1:51AM
debrak_2008

Get several estimates. Since your wife's company is doing you no favors check others. Are you saying the cabinets are $9500 and the labor to remove and install is $10,500?

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 7:14AM
dntutley

"Posted by debrak_2008 (My Page) on Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 7:14
Get several estimates. Since your wife's company is doing you no favors check others. Are you saying the cabinets are $9500 and the labor to remove and install is $10,500?"

Yes, that's what I am saying. Is it normal for labor to be 1:1 ratio

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 7:28AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

It depends on what labor you're talking about. Basic cabinet installs, without demo, usually take around 10-15% of the cost of the cabinets. If you're adding in demo, some electrical, plumbing, appliance installs, a wall coming down, drywall work, flooring installs etc, then yes, your labor will probably be higher than the cabinets.

The national average for kitchen remodels is now around 45K for a like to like replacement of all materials. If you would be keeping some elements, think lower. If you would be doing more involved construction, like moving major items or taking down a wall, think more money.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 7:32AM
More Discussions
Help needed with this beam!!!
We had part of a wall taken down in the kitchen &...
mark_rachel
Do upper super Susan shelves obstruct view?
The 42" tall upper corner cabinet was drilled...
tea4all
Detailed where-things-go plan in 100 sqft - advice?
So, our kitchen is finished enough that we can prepare...
lathyrus
Neolith polished Classtone?
Has anyone seen any of the new neolith classtone surfaces...
nels1678
Copper sink for kitchen remodel?
Does anyone know of a really good quality copper sink...
kathy6421
Sponsored Products
Trans Globe Lighting Remodel Projects Weathered Bronze Pendant Light
$53.01 | LuxeDecor
Custom Jude Upholstered Headboard
Home Decorators Collection
Almond Vintage Textured Faux Dupioni Silk Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 120
$68.95 | Bellacor
Cocoa Paige Backless Counter Stool
Cost Plus World Market
Juno 4" Low Voltage Adjustable Angle Recessed Light Trim
$39.99 | Lamps Plus