What size/number of pulls on 30" drawers?

mountaineergirlDecember 11, 2012

This isn't the first time this question has been asked. I have done a little research but was hoping to get more responses. I will have 3 banks of 30" drawers and one bank of 27" I am struggling with 1 vs 2 pulls. I am looking at this bar pull:

It is 5 3/4" I can't find one like it that is longer and I really like it. AND it is very inexpensive, from Pullsdirect.com

so...opinions??

Here is a link that might be useful: Other thread about pulls

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
a2gemini

I put 2 5 inch pulls on my 30 inch drawers but with that beautiful pull - bet you can do just one!

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 10:29PM
andreak100

It's a lovely pull, but I would worry about the look of putting just one pull on drawers as wide as you are mentioning.

I wonder - can you order a few of them and mock it up on a drawer by using the Command quick release strips with one pull vs. two pulls?

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 10:58PM
cookncarpenter

Looks vs function ~ Two would look better, but one makes more sense when you have a pot or pan in one hand that you are going to put away...

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 11:16PM
motherof3sons

I have very similar in ORB on 36" drawers. One 8" pull per drawer.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 11:52PM
mountaineergirl

Thanks for your replies. If I could find this in a longer version, that's what I'd do. 8" sounds perfect and if I could get this 8" I'd do that. But these were less than $3 each!! and its quite heavy - I was surprised. So its not the expense, just looks and function.

I guess my concern is what would happen over years of opening the drawer with one hand if there are 2 pulls. The glides are lifetime warranty, but still...

so, is that an issue? I think longer than 30" you'd definitely want 2, but 30" seems to be that gray area. I think on the 27" I will just go with 1 or it wouldn't look right.

anyhoo keep the replies coming!

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 8:01AM
MizLizzie

Mountaineer girl, lovely pull! Would you mind sharing the manufacturer, etc? I see a couple that are similar on Pulls.com, but not quite as pretty. Thanks!

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 9:50AM
PRO
modern life interiors

bump

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 10:46AM
jakuvall

With modern drawer glides there is no issue having two pulls and only pulling on one of them. Have it in mine for 9 years now, do it all the time.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 11:54AM
mountaineergirl

No problem! I'd be glad to share. Like I said I was pleasantly surprised at how heavy they felt. I ordered this one another similar one that was 3 times more and couldn't see paying that. But even $7 is not bad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pulls direct.com

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 11:57AM
corgimum

Do you have a drawer front in your current kitchen that you could try it on? Maybe a sink base cabinet? If not, get some paper, draw out the dimensions of a bank of your drawers and lay the pulls on top of it. If you only have one pull, photocopy it.

Personally I like 2 pulls on a drawer that big but my pulls are 4 1/2'' wide. I used 2 on 28" and 33" drawers. The 28'' was the only drawer and the 33" were a bank of 3 drawers.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 3:40PM
mountaineergirl

That's a good idea but our current kitchen is already demoed (is that a word?) anyhow I did ask DH to imagine drawers the width of our 30" range with one pull and he said def got to have 2. He thought 1 would look skimpy. So I'll get 2. Better than not having enough and then the co running out of stock. I noticed it said 105 in stock and I'll need approx 30. I'm doing knobs for the cab doors

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 4:18PM
MizLizzie

Thanks, mountaineergirl. I really like it, but they don't seem to have any knobs left to coordinate. Order yours while they still have 'em and then maybe I'll order one to look at, just in case I can match it up w/something at the local knob shop. (Yes, we have one. LOL.) I am also looking at another of their pulls, but it is twice as much. That is a nice bargain.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 6:47PM
mountaineergirl

Mizlizzie - the knobs I have aren't the same style as the pull either. Its the same finish, but just smooth, nothing fancy. I thought it looked ok, but now you have me wondering. They will just be on the upper cabs. and a section of cabs on another wall that doesn't have drawers.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 6:52PM
Angie_DIY

I accidentally put a single 4" pull on my 40" drawer. (I meant to put two, but got into a zone while drilling drawer fronts.) It looks just fine. Really.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 11:58PM
mountaineergirl

Ok I got the second pull I ordered today. It cost $6.39 each, as compared to $2.75 for the first pull.

this pull doesn't have the design all the way around it. It is flat on the back side. The first one has the design all the way around. That matters to me, I think it looks more expensive when it was actually less than half! They seem to weigh about the same. So, its a no-brainer right?? I'm going with the first one.

I want to add that I think long-term, the first one may get yucky quicker. More detail to keep grime out of, but I'm trying to break the habit of thinking that way. Our 3 boys are out of the house now and I can get what I like without having to think about cleaning it (this goes for everything - carpet, paint color, floor tile etc) but it is a really hard habit to break!

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 11:33AM
Debbi Branka

I have 30" drawers that I put one pull on, and it's a 3.5" pull. I didn't really know any better at the time. When I built my island, I have one 30" drawer that is secretly my warming drawer. I put 2 pulls on that one (same style pulls in all of kitchen). If I could change the first drawer bank to 2 pulls, I definitely would. It just looks nicer. I love the pulls you've chosen. I would put 2 on your 30" drawers. Just 1 on the 27" drawer is fine, IMO.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
Faucet for kitchen remodel
I am having trouble finding the right faucet to go...
kathy6421
Silestone lena
Has anyone used Silestone "Lena" quartz in...
magnoliahome205
xenon light bars for under-cabinet
based on what I saw in the lighting showroom my electrician...
lmgch
Odd Shaped Kitchen Remodel
I cross posted this in the Design Dilemma forum, but...
sdp123
What do you think of leathered surfaces? and why?
So I did my first foray into a granite yard today....
lawjedi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™