Help! Did I just uncover asbestos glue??

jshbrkrDecember 26, 2013

Hey there, new to the forum and homeownership. Ive been remodeling the house I just bought that was built in the 1930s. I am scraping off all of the layers of wall paper in the bathroom and started scraping off this red chalky glue. I didn't think anything of it & then it dawned on me that this may be asbestos glue. I know that old asbestos glue can sometimes be red.

Has anyone heard of this? Did they use to use asbestos glue for wallpaper? Should I seal off my bathroom and get an inspector in here? haha thanks for the advise!

This post was edited by jshbrkr on Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 20:35

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

I did a quick search on line and it seems unlikely. There could be asbestos in some vinyl wall papers, but if it is in the adhesive, which it may not be, the risk would be low. You can get it tested to be on the safe side though.

Bookmark   December 26, 2013 at 10:24PM
snoonyb

The asbestos impregnated adhesive us known as "cutback" and is seldom, if ever used for wallpaper.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 12:16AM
nosoccermom

Could it be that you are looking at red wall paint?

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 12:27PM
localeater

I have removed a lot of wallpaper from some old and very old houses. Ithink that the red stuff you are showing isn't the glue. It is the paper from the back of the old wallpaper which is practically disintegrated and is sitting of the glue.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 12:36PM
localeater

I have removed a lot of wallpaper from some old and very old houses. Ithink that the red stuff you are showing isn't the glue. It is the paper from the back of the old wallpaper which is practically disintegrated and is sitting of the glue.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 12:43PM
lazy_gardens

I think you have uncovered the liner paper that was under the first layer of patterned wallpaper. It was often not acid free and over the years turns a brownish reddish "old paper" color.

Wallpaper was usually installed with wheat paste until vinyl glues were developed.

Bookmark   December 28, 2013 at 8:23AM
localeater

Bookmark   December 28, 2013 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
Closet pantry or not?
I am doing a reno of our kitchen and wanted to get...
abbabug
Blue Star grill igniter--is it broken?
My Blue Star grill is becoming finicky when I try to...
nycbluedevil_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™