24" Single Upper cabinets or Divided?

thepeppermintleafDecember 15, 2013

I am getting all the specs for our cabinets ready, and am now thinking that it might be better to do 4x large cabinets (outside boxes are 24.5", so cabinet doors would be ~22" ?), instead of 8x small doors. What do you guys think? They would be similar in size to the cabinets above the refrigerator and microwave. Ceilings are 9'2", so the uppers will be fake-stacked 38" and 14"

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdln

Less doors, looks less busy. Depends on what you like. Personally, I am going with the less door look. Have designed my kitchen with this in mind.

Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 11:03PM
martinkk333

Personally, I am going with the double doors because only have two uppers flanked by 18" cabs on each end I only have 8 foot ceilings and It seems that the linear look kinda makes the ceilings look taller....but I recently saw a display that had eight or ten cabs with all 24" doors with the stacked cabs on top, and the display was impressive. I loved the look.

Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 11:45PM
thepeppermintleaf

Was the display you saw a solid wall of cabinets or broken up w/ appliances like mine? Thanks for the comments so far!

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 10:37AM
GauchoGordo1993

From a functionality standpoint, it depends primarily on where you want to be standing when you use them. For example, if it's over your dishwasher, then a single door would be best because you'll be on the side when you use it.

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 12:02PM
live_wire_oak

If you will be going with a rustic (hickory?) wood like your pic shows, I would absolutely simplify. And try to simplify even more. It's a very busy wood and the design is contributing to the visual overload.

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 2:22PM
martinkk333

Actually, It was very similar to your. Also, if you're interested, instead of the valance over the window, they had an area where they had raised the cabinet height (I don't remember why - may have been to simulate a window) and they had installed the top tier of cabinets only with the glass doors (three of them) above the area. I will try to get down there tomorrow and take a picture for you. It's not that far from here.

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 10:41PM
laughablemoments

As an owner of 24" wide uppers, I can say that functionally, they are a bit of a challenge.

Plus: One move opens the whole space.

Minus: You might just loose your nose or at least get a good conk on the head opening the door. Or, whack the person that is standing nearby. The door swings out past the counter depth so you have to step back as you open it. It's awkward.

If you can handle the look of the narrower doors, I'd recommend those from a functional standpoint.

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 10:56AM
thepeppermintleaf

I would love a picture if you are able AR_Kiki!!

I should have said our countertops will be 30" deep w/ 15" uppers- so if the cabinet doors end up being 22", they will stick out over the countertop 7" when fully open. That could be a pain. It sounds like it has been an issue for some of you...

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
IKEA kitchen nearly done- so delayed
We've been extremely delayed!! The granite is going...
Chinchette
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
Carrara tile backsplash with carrara countertop
I found a few images in the photos section of houzz,...
crl_
Cabinet coat for office
I am painting over dark stained builtins in our home...
erinnicole
marble bathroom counters in ladies room- real life
This marble counter is in the ladies' room basement...
scrappy25
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™