New Couter Top Advice

jmarie310December 5, 2012

Greetings:

I just discovered this forum and it looks wonderful. We are starting a kitchen remodel and are getting the cabinets together and now we have to choose counter tops. I am leaning towarded engineered stone (stilestone, Caeserstone, etc. The big question is stains. I grow and can lots of food, particularly tomato sauces, etc. and I would like to try a light colored style for the counter. Anyone have problems with staining with engineered stone countertops?

Thanks JM

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
berardmr

I have Cambria Torquay. It's white with a gray veining. So far, it's been totally bullet proof. I love the look and feel of the quartz. No problems and no regrets.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 7:28PM
coco4444

Cambria Darlington here. Nothing touches it. Thought we had a problem last week with dried nail polish... scraped off easily with a gentle blade. Same with crazy glue. Agree with the bullet proof... go for it!

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 7:36PM
moebus

Caesarstone espresso. Not had any problem with stains including tomato and oils. We are careful about very hot pans though as the matrix is susceptable to high temperatures.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 8:18PM
hags00

I'm with Co-co, Cambria Darlington, no staining. In fact it never even looks dirty, I have to remember to wipe it!

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 8:49PM
oldryder

the various quartz products (which, regardless of brand are all made on the same machines purchased from a company in Italy) are generally quite stain resistant.

the primary disadvantage to quartz is the possibility of scorching or heat related damage. the material is actually about 30% resin by volume and it is the resin that is susceptible to damage from heat.

if you don't need to put hot containers on the counter then quartz is the way to go. some shopping is in order because all the quartz suppliers have light colors like you want and you could easily see a $10 - 20/sq. ft. difference from one brand and fabricator to another.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 10:04PM
jmarie310

Thank you all for the replies. We are upgrading from 20 year old laminate with lots of scratches but no stains, so the engineered stone looks like the best. We are careful about hot items and have assorted trivets but don't want to have to deal with stains or scratches again. There is an tendency to choose busy dark colors/patterns to hide these things, but I want to lighten the kitchen counter tops.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 9:01AM
maggieq

Just upgraded from 50+ year old white-when-new formica to my glorious Silestone Blanco Maple. I have died and gone to heaven. Only babying is for hot pans, easy peasy to clean, no stains. Can't be more pleased!

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Looking for a review of TCE Quartz
Looking to put in a Quartz countertop and was quoted...
maremurry
Resurrecting kitchen project Part II
My husband’s kitchen deadline is still May, but it...
margo456
Can you look at my kitchen layout and tell me what I'm missing?
Sorry I posted this once previously, but I wanted to...
happyallison
Cabs above the fridge and wall oven
We don't have a KD yet, and I'm still just figuring...
Jennifer Weinman
Sponsored Products
Haeger Potteries Adrift Ceramic Tear Drop Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Priage Select Tight Top 8-inch Twin-size Spring / Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Venice 8 Piece Outdoor Patio Sofa Set in Espresso Red
$1,500.00 | LexMod
Ceramic Pottery Round Toilet Brush Holder in Assorted Colors
TheBathOutlet
Nebula Ceiling Lamp Black
ModernistLighting.com