replacing my kitchen desk

renov8rDecember 10, 2013

With the new renovation, I am not planning to have a desk. I will be losing my area for my printer, files, and shredder. I would love to see photos of what others have done to keep these items in a kitchen when there is not desk area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gabbythecat

I don't have a photo because the kitchen isn't quite done yet...but we've got a peninsula in our new kitchen. At the end of the peninsula we have double doors under the counter, and two pullouts. We'll put the printer/scanner/copier on the top pullout, printer paper, shredder, etc on the bottom pullout. We've asked the electrical guy to install an outlet inside the cabinet....Above the double doors is a drawer that we'll use for our "junk" drawer - stapler, scissors, etc. We opted to not have a desk in the kitchen because we only have laptops now, and we both use the computers all over the house - nice to not be tied to a desk.

Most of our files are on our laptops (networked, natch); the hard copies that we use infrequently are in a smallish file cabinet in another room.

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 6:00PM
a2gemini

I put in dual caves in our sunroom for our desk and files
There is a pull out "cutting board" to use as a work surface.
The bottom drawer can be files plus I have another file cabinet style piece of furniture in the great room.
I don't have a printer in the caves but you could put one in.
Also, my shreddie machine is in another room.

Here is a picture with the drawers open

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 6:51PM
renov8r

a2gemini - those cabinets are awesome. Were they custom made? I like how the doors slide in. What are the dimensions of these cabinets? I am putting in a floor to ceiling cabinet that will serve as my pantry. Perhaps I could put a pull our drawer at the bottom for the printer. I think the shredder will have to go somewhere else.

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 7:28PM
annkh_nd

I don't use a printer often enough to want it in the kitchen - I have a desktop in the family room, and the printer lives there. Shredder is in a closet, come out a couple of times a month.

But I file stuff often. I got rid of a desk in my kitchen remodel, so I added file drawers to a floor-to-ceiling cabinet wall. The drawer above is for phone book, pens, scissors, stamps, check book, etc. - desk stuff.

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 7:52PM
renov8r

Thanks for posting the photo. I don't really have another place for my printer. Our kitchen table will probably end up being our desk. Kids are gone from our house now but I don't want to travel stairs for the printer. We tried that and it didn't work.

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 11:35PM
dan1888

Maybe a wireless printer will give you new design options.

Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 12:00AM
GauchoGordo1993

Could the printer fit in a drawer?

Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 1:10AM
laughablemoments

We have a spot by the front door where we have a command center of sorts. It's not totally finished, but it's most definitely in use. (Please excuse the cluttery reveal.) The printer is in the lower cabinet. We don't have a shredder, but if we did, I think it could fit down there, too.

DH stands at this spot every night and unloads from his day: clipboard, paperwork, dayplanner, etc. And his boots. : ) Wonder what he has on his feet today, LOL.

Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
Color difference Benjamin Moore Regal Select versus Regal Classic
We've been using Benjamin Moore Regal Classic semi...
donaleen
Would soapstone work for me?
I currently have Cambria quartz and like it, but don't...
Butternut
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
hardware length vs. drawer width..
All, We've figured out which pulls we want for our...
yoda888
Zephyr Monsoon I or Air King LIN34 600 CFR Range Hood Insert??
I am ready to buy a range hood insert for my kitchen....
Kenneth House
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™