Can't decide on Countertops - Plz Help!

ctblubirdDecember 6, 2012

I'm just about ready to order my new cabinets but can't decide on countertops. I'm changing from 80's golden ash cabinets to a mix of expresso glazed ivory cabinets for the perimeter and cinnamon cabinets for the island.
Here are my options: 1. Buy all new granite (try to sell the old stuff) 2. Re-use all of my current granite which is Uba Tuba or 3. Re-use the Uba Tuba on the ivory cabinets and buy new, lighter color granite for the cinnamon island.

My floor will be travertine tile. The backsplash will also be white travertine.

You will be able to see a half bath and my office from the kitchen. The half bath has white travertine with and inset of crema marfil and dark emperador marble insets. I'm not sure what type of stone will be on the office floor.

My concern is that I am going to have too many stone surfaces and textures and colors. My kitchen does not get a lot of natural light - it's very dark. This is the main reason I'm switching to ivory cabinets. I was considering the light granite on the island to lighten things up and keeping the uba tuba to save a few dollars.
I'd love to hear your thoughts...I'm going in circles...

The pictures show my current kitchen. We are taking out the peninsula and replacing with an island to try to gain a better flow. Thoughts on the layout will be appreciated as well.
PS. I can't take down any walls and no, I can't move my refrigerator. It stinks, but I can't do it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ctblubird

This is the proposed layout

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 5:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldryder

A lighter island would be my choice given the relatively low level of natural light. We often provide island and perimeters in different colors in the high end homes we do so you wouldn't be doing anything unusual.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 9:31PM
More Discussions
My Conestoga Cabinets have arrived, now the fun begins
My cabinets arrived this past Thursday and thought...
aries61
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
Dishwasher in white, black or panel??
My 17 year old dishwasher needs to be replaced. It...
shellking
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
reasonable time before receipt of general contractor's estimate ?
What is a reasonable time to wait before a contractor's...
jeannette10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™