2-tone kitchen cabinets: have you seen such design?

M_N_ADecember 17, 2013

we like 2-tone kitchen cabinets, with off-white and espresso.

Our island is about 7x3 feet but only half is cabinet and the rest are open for seating. So it's not substantial enough to do peripheral off-white and island espresso

So we are thinking of off-white upper cabinets and espresso lower cabinets.

But on the wall with tall cabinets (left wall), it's a little tricky. we are thinking of having upper and tall pantry off-white, and base espresso. has anyone seen similar design? does it look odd?
should I go all off-white on this wall?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
localeater

While not espresso and off white, the first thing that came to mind was 2littlefishies yellow and white kitchen. She had a very informative post about finalizing the color placement.

Here is a link that might be useful: two color kitchen color placement

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 5:45PM
GauchoGordo1993

IMHO, it would look best to swap the fridge and the tall cab and make the tall cabinet all white. I think it would be awkward to make the tall cabinet two tone, and less awkward, but awkward nonetheless, to make it all white in the current location.

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 6:41PM
sjhockeyfan325

This is what we're doing - about half the people I asked thought the refrigerator should be white, but we chose the stone color because of dirt/grime/fingerprints, and added the "frame" above the upper cabinets to tie in the colors. the island will be all the stone color (both will have white Ceasarstone counters).

The Houzz photo to which I linked was somewhat of my inspiration. We had actually already picked the cabinet colors and materials when I found this, and I used it to design the framework around the refrigerator and above the upper cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration Photo

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 7:33PM
akshars_mom

M_N_A,
We are doing exactly what you said. We just ordered cabinets so no pictures to show.
But here are a couple of inspiration pictures:

Contemporary Kitchen by Hopkins Architects & Designers Kuhl Design Build LLC

Traditional Kitchen by Edina Interior Designers & Decorators INVIEW Interior Design

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 9:01PM
kksmama

I think it will be fabulous. Majra's two tone reveal (linked) is one of my favorites. IRRC the manufacturer of her counters requested pictures for promotional purposes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Majra's two tone reveal

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 9:19PM
GauchoGordo1993

SJ's plan is great, but MNA has the additional complication of an adjacent over-the-fridge cabinet, which would have to be dark if the tall cab were dark. That would look nice though I think.

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 10:03PM
Kathy Rivera

I have a two-tone kitchen and debated what to do with the tall cabs. I went stained tall and over fridge - just what I preferred. But my designer was really helpful - he mocked it up with stained and cream and I was able to see immediately which I preferred.

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 10:12PM
petepie

I would make the tall cabinets the same color as the base cabinets

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 11:46PM
sena01

Here's what I have (and fridge next to a wall is a real headache, ask me how I know. It would be much better to have the pantry there.)

This post was edited by sena01 on Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 4:16

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 4:08AM
Majra

Thanks for the shout-out, kksmama. I still love my choice of two-toned cabinets. Our fridge surround is dark.

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 8:33AM
M_N_A

thank you all so so much for your comments and sharing the photos. It's really helpful
I am going through 2LittleFishies and Majra's posts

@KathyNY76, do you have more photos of your kitchen?

@sena01, what is the black thing next to the wall? Is it a cabinet or appliance?

somehow it never hit me to have the tall and over fridge cabinet dark color.
Maybe subconsciously I thought it will be too dark but it looks quite nice!

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 1:37PM
DIY-Her

I'm doing the same thing to my kitchen. 1995 oak cabinets. One single wall cabinet fell off the wall a few years ago. Bought a new one from the same company, but they no longer had the exact style or stain. No matter what I did, I couldn't get them to match, even staining all the uppers.
So, I sanded the uppers, painted them antique white, took the doors off and bought a Graco airless sprayer and sprayed them outside on a nice no breeze day. Took 2 cabinets / 4 doors and replaced with frame only and inserted a nice wavy type glass.
The bottoms I have to replace anyway because 3 of the 9 are bad.
So, going to probably buy from Conestoga Cabinets possibly Walnut and stain and finish them myself since I like to finish furniture anyway.

Here are the top cabinets with the new glass.
http://www.bytephoto.com/photopost/data/1154/medium/2013-12-08-001W.jpg

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 2:31PM
DIY-Her

I can't get my picture to view in the message like all of you, how do I do that? I tried typing url to jpg file like I do in most other forums and it didn't work

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 2:34PM
Majra

My rationale for the dark fridge surround was that any cabinet that came out of the floor should be dark. I've noticed that it gives an armoire look to the appliance too.

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 3:31PM
sena01

what is the black thing next to the wall? Is it a cabinet or appliance? If you mean the bottom left corner of the last picture, it's a toaster.

@ DIY-her: See this

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 3:34PM
sjhockeyfan325

DIY, save the picture as a jpg on your hard drive. Then when you prepare a post, click on "Choose File" next to "Image file to upload (optional):". When you do that a box will come up that should be self-explanatory.

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 3:48PM
Kathy Rivera

We just finished our kitchen up and I haven't done a 'reveal' thread yet, so I don't have any nice pictures. I have a couple I've taken to show someone a particular something and they are pretty grainy, construction dust, etc...And we've since painted the dining room the same color as the kitchen:

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 9:12PM
M_N_A

@sena01, i mean the next to the door on the first photo.

@KathyNY76, thanks for the photos! It look great already. waiting for your official review:)

@Majra, yup, I can totally see your point!

This post was edited by M_N_A on Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 14:43

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 2:38PM
sena01

Oh, sorry for the confusion. The photo was taken during reno. That's a broom and its reflection on the mirror:))

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 3:10PM
tamileeb

If you can ignore my messy kitchen that is still not ready to reveal yet due to the island lights, here are my dark lowers with a white wall of cabinets. I chose the white to keep my small kitchen feeling larger, plus I like white appliances instead of stainless. Hope it helps.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 7:15PM
sena01

I found some old drawings of my kitchen with all tall cabs in dark color. Cab sizes changed a little, but this is quite close to what I would see from the single entry I have.

I thought it would be too dark, and so that's why I decided to have what I have now.

This is from the other end, closer to what you'd mostly see I guess.

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 6:30AM
More Discussions
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
Quartz or Dekton/Neolith?
I know all about the wonders of quartz countertops...
nadianyc
Did anyone purchase a new color KitchenAid stand mixer...
...to go with your new kitchen? We are weeks away from...
mrsartsncrafts
What do you think of this idea for IKEA Sektion door fronts?
I am going to put in IKEA cabinets and it don't like...
enduring
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™