Best place to order a butcher block top for island.

thundersweetDecember 11, 2007

I am now going in another direction for my island purchase. I might have my dh's boss make the base and buy a top for it. I am looking into my options now. I got a quote from glumber.com. I have no idea if it's high or not since I have not priced them. For a 2 in thick top the cost is $674 in maple or $804 in cherry or walnut. Plus $200 shipping. Does that sound right? The size is 54 by 24.

I may not do this. It sounds like it will be a way more expensive option. The tops of the islands I was looking at are made of douglas fir. Not sure if that's a good option or not.

Thanks,

Sandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scramla

Lumber Liqudators offers a fairly inexpensive alternative. They are stock sizes 25" x 8' or 12' (1.5" thick), unfinished, and they only offer cherry or maple. Nothing fancy, but if you are looking for something simple and less pricey, I think they are around $200 - $300. No fancy edge or anything. I'm looking into them for my peninsula.

~Pam

Bookmark   December 11, 2007 at 5:10PM
november

I was surprised by how expensive our wood island top turned out to be. I had assumed it would be cheaper than granite, but it wasn't. We ordered a maple one from glumber.com - it was 98" x 50" and it was about $2k, with no cutouts (our GC is doing the prep sink cutout for us).

I had a GREAT experience with glumber - the guy on the phone took all the time I needed to answer questions and discuss options. The finished product is gorgeous, and they shipped it really fast.

Bookmark   December 11, 2007 at 5:14PM
thundersweet

Do you know if they cut to size? Not sure where I would get it sized to fit my island?

Sandy

Bookmark   December 11, 2007 at 5:15PM
sautesmom

IKEA sells them too.

Bookmark   December 11, 2007 at 5:31PM
jeannema

This is our Cherry BB from LL. I finished it with waterlox. I think it was only $329 for a 25"X12' (1.5"thick). There are some imperfections, but for the money I think it's a great deal!!!

Kelly

Bookmark   December 11, 2007 at 6:10PM
deee_gw

I also thought I'd save a bit of money using a wood top instead of granite on our small built in desk in the kitchen. Ha. It was tons more hassle trying to find the darn thing and cost the same or slightly more than granite. I haven't received it yet so I can't post a pic. I got mine from Blockhead Tops in Michigan(?). I looked through all the wood counters and islands in the blog and got three or four names. Blockhead was the cheapest and actually suggested that I use face boards instead of butcher block because it was going on a desk. I think it will look more like furniture.

Bookmark   December 11, 2007 at 6:46PM
sharon1

I got mine at Blockhead Tops too. It's dark walnut and my island is 1/2 granite and 1/2 wood. They did a nice job, were very reasonable and it arrived in good shape.

It's very pretty, but if i had to do it over again I would have just had the entire island in granite. It was a hassle splitting the island and the upkeep on the wood is way more than I had in mind.

But it looks good :)

Bookmark   December 11, 2007 at 7:35PM
ellene613

We got our island top from AWP Butcher Block in Kentucky. Well-priced, excellent service, nice people. We are very happy with our butcher block top.

Here is a link that might be useful: AWP Butcher Block

Bookmark   December 11, 2007 at 9:14PM
thundersweet

Thanks Kelly for the pictures. Your counters look beautiful!

I e-mailed Blockhead Tops for a quote.

Thanks,
Sandy

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 7:17AM
thebutcherblocktop

You can always give The Butcher Block Top a try. We are more than willing to work with anyone to find a great price for your butcher block counter top. We do custom butcher block counter tops as well as end grain butcher blocks Table's and cutting boards. Check out are website below. Fill out a request and get a free quote.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Butcher Block Top

Bookmark   December 18, 2007 at 10:01AM
oofasis

I, too, loved the look of wood counters and thought I might save some money by going that route for my 8'x41' island. Several folks here have them in their kitchens, and they're absolutely beautiful (hand-crafted in Denmark, shipped here). I had a local company give me an estimate for Spekva counters in cherry and teak with a bullnosed edge. The quote came back at $4740 and $4670, respectively. Um, as they say in New York, "Faggedabowdit!" I used Carrara marble throughout.

Bookmark   December 18, 2007 at 12:22PM
buffettgirl

can I bump this - Ellene613 do you have a picture of your top?????

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 11:17AM
buffettgirl

And November - do you have a picture of the one you got from Glumber?

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 4:50PM
osswb

Here is mine from glumber. It's Brazilian Cherry and the quality is outstanding. It will far outlast me. Glumber were wonderful to work with (although not cheap) and I highly recommend them. If they are not out of budget for you, I think you will not be disappointed.

MaryT

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 7:23PM
november

Here's the island top from Grothouse (glumber.com) - it's face-grain maple. It's been great so far (3 weeks...)

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 8:14PM
buffettgirl

thank you all for your Glumber stories.

Bookmark   January 5, 2008 at 10:01AM
coffeehaus

November...what kind of support do you have for your overhang?

Bookmark   January 5, 2008 at 3:12PM
november

you know what - there's no support. It's about 13 inches, and glumber and my GC said we didn't need support. I wonder, though.

Bookmark   January 5, 2008 at 3:21PM
breezy_2

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Boos Blocks. They are pretty much the king of butcher blocks and butcher block tops. They provide a list of online distributors, most of whom ship for free and their prices are way less than the ones on Boos' web site. If you try to order direct from Boos, a message appears telling you that you can buy their products much cheaper by using one of their authorized dealers.

Bookmark   January 5, 2008 at 4:22PM
candyhearts

I know this post is old but i thought i should add something for other readers who might stumble on this page...

I would NOT ever purchase a countertop from Blockhead block tops again!

I ordered a counter top and he told me he would ship it last Saturday or on the coming Monday.

Well its been over a week and no counter top.

Even if they sent it on Monday it should have been here 3 days ago at the longest.

I have called and left messages and written them many times and they do not ever call or write back.

Not only that but the guy who makes the tops was very condescending and treated me like I couldn't know anything because I am a woman. that was the feeling I got from him.

I would not do business with this company again.

Bookmark   November 20, 2010 at 7:20PM
More Discussions
Induction cooktop > no slow cooker?
Can the low settings, timer and a good pot replace...
anniel58
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
General Contractor bid excessive?
I'm doing a forced remodel due to a flood and handling...
beachem
Please help me find an eco-friendly black-and-white floor!?
After more years than I care to admit, we are finally...
dawdlinmama
How high above countertop is the bottom of cabinets?
in a sink area? I have 18 inches above regular countertop...
Annette Holbrook
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™