Let's talk switch plates

peridot44December 10, 2012

What's the general consensus regarding switch plates in the kitchen? I've looked at some pictures and most of what I see seems to be white.

We are not having a back splash. (GASP) So, I was thinking about getting a little decorative with the switch plates. But, I may not be that courageous. On the bright side, they're easy to change if I don't like them.

We're doing the dime-a-dozen modern day style: White cabinets, soapstone counter, butcher block counter, and hw floors. Wall paint is pale, pale, butter yellow.

Any thoughts? Anyone have photos of their switch plates?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deedles

My thoughts are that Switchhits.com is a great place to start, if you haven't been there already. Tons of switch plates. I've ordered from there a few times now and have been very happy with the quality of my items. Seems like they have a decent selection of about everything.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 5:04PM
cat_mom

We used Arnev.com for the wood switchplates; unfinished cherry that we had finished by the cabinet manufacturer, and natural maple (birch?) that was finished, but not stained (they were used inside the cabinets):

Pics:

We also had stone switchplates made for our bathrooms by Columbia Gorge Stoneworks. Pricey, but we felt they'd add a nice finishing touch to the bathrooms (we saved "here" so we could splurge "there").

Pics:

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 1:36AM
Jodi_SoCal

We used something to compliment our black granite and stainless steel appliances. They are called Aspire and come in different colors. Very similar to the Lutron brand which are more expensive but much easier to find.

Jodi-

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 1:50AM
fishymom

Jodi, your cabinets and backsplash are gorgeous and the switch plate is a great accent!

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 7:42AM
jxbrown

Catmom: where did that divine circle tile come from?

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 9:37AM
karenschaewe

Catmom and jodi_in_socal - what pulls are those? That's the type of shape I want but have been too busy to hunt down.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 9:45AM
CEFreeman

I have Mulberry "wrinkled" switch plates planned. They're paintable. I don't have a backsplash and haven't really worried about it. It's so far in the future for me, after I change my countertops to soapstone!

Anyway, they're nice. They're a bit wider and paint does adhere.

There are also some very cute and fun switchplates. You're right, that if you don't like them, they're very easy to [ahem] switch out.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 10:22AM
cat_mom

Circle tile is from Porcelanosa (~2 1/2 years ago?), but we purchased it through a local tile place (they give us a very good discount).

Handles on the cabs are from Valli&Valli. We used all three sizes in our kitchen (mostly the middle size, but used the largest size on the DW, trash cab, and cab over the fridge, and used the smallest one on our smallest width drawer which is to the left of the range). We got an excellent price on them as well! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Valli&Valli A 230 Handles

This post was edited by cat_mom on Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 11:41

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 11:40AM
peridot44

Thank you all for your replies.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 4:07PM
Jodi_SoCal

Thanks Fishymom.

Cabinet pulls are Kraftmaid Satin Chrome 5" (Style 205). They were just under $7 a piece back in late 2007 when we purchased them.

Jodi-

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
Week 44: Spring, spring, SPring, SPRING dreams!
I am having spring fever. I can't wait until it's...
CEFreeman_GW
Kitchen/House Reveal - DIY with Scherr's RTA. Better late then never
I have been meaning to post here for years but I really...
toddimt
Resurrecting kitchen project Part II
My husband’s kitchen deadline is still May, but it...
margo456
Can you look at my kitchen layout and tell me what I'm missing?
Sorry I posted this once previously, but I wanted to...
happyallison
Sponsored Products
Calligaris | Axel Table - Quick Ship
YLiving.com
Brushed Nickel One-Light Pendant
$96.00 | Bellacor
Hunter Universal Ceiling Fan Hand-Held Remote 27208
$34.97 | Home Depot
Payne Bath Bar
Lightology
Tempo Mid Back Office Chair in White
$299.00 | LexMod