backsplash help

Kelly3307December 13, 2012

Hi everyone.

We are in the process of doing some updates in our kitchen and we just took down the old tile backsplash. The drywall is torn, there are some holes, and still some mastic from the old tile job. We are going to be putting in a white subway tile. Are we able to salvage what's there and scrape/patch and tile over it? Or do we need to completely rip it out, put up new drywall and then tile? Is it too far gone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marti8a

Ours was like that and we replaced it. We wanted a nice smooth surface so the adhesive would stick and produce a nice, flat backsplash.

But we did it before putting in the granite. Maybe someone here will have a fix for you.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 5:39PM
badgergal

The are lots of differing opinions on this but the tile expert John Bridge says on one of his forum posts:
John Bridge
01-18-2007, 06:30 PM
I disagree with all my colleagues here. I tile over stuff like that all the time in the kitchen. Use thin set. It will fix the holes as you go.

Some say to seal the brown paper with something like Gardz to keep it from de laminating further but Bridge says,

John Bridge
01-19-2007, 02:25 PM
I hate to start another round, but I don't worry about sealer, either. Thin set won't hurt drywall. ;)

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 6:00PM
moebus

Just use back painted glass and ignore what's behind. High tech solution thats cheap.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
Induction cooktop > no slow cooker?
Can the low settings, timer and a good pot replace...
anniel58
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
My Conestoga Cabinets have arrived, now the fun begins
My cabinets arrived this past Thursday and thought...
aries61
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™