vent hood - converting internal to external blower

joellen01December 26, 2012

Hi GW - been reading this awesome resource, this is my first post - thanks to all who are so helpful. I am re-doing a kitchen, looking at hoods for a 36" island gas cooktop. assuming I need a 42" hood, about 1000 CFM due to several right angled turns needed to get to existing vent stack that goes through roof (kitchen on second floor of 3 story townhouse). My question: looking at the few hoods that accept external blowers, they are all $$$$, plus about $700 for a blower fan, would it be possible to get a lower end hood, take out the external fan, re-wire for external fan, and save $$$? I know I would have to re-wire the hood lights, sitll seems less expensive since my husband can do the light re-wire.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colin3

Mechanically it should be straightforward. Electrically ... the lights are simple. If you want to use the fan speed controller located in the hood there's some possibility it might not work with the external blower. Generally when you get an external blower (which one are you thinking of?) it comes with its own variable-speed controller and the easiest thing is to install that in the wall. I have a wall switchplate housing both the fan controller and the switch for the hood lights.

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 5:48PM
joellen01

Thanks colin3. I was assuming that none of the fan controls on the hood would work, but hoping to get the light controls to work. For external fan, was looking at Fantech RE 10xlt - 1008 CFM for $548; and for the hood was considering several models from Signature Hardware, either the Casselle or the Treviso (both from the ProAire line). Wonder if anyone has experience with either of these, remembering that I am going to "gut" them WRT the internal fan - just take the fan out.

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 7:31PM
cookncarpenter

Just make sure the type of fan control you choose is compatible with the remote blower. Many blowers are meant to be used with 3 speed controls, vs variable speed, using the latter may damage the motor.

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 7:51PM
joellen01

Thanks colin3. I was assuming that none of the fan controls on the hood would work, but hoping to get the light controls to work. For external fan, was looking at Fantech RE 10xlt - 1008 CFM for $548; and for the hood was considering several models from Signature Hardware, either the Casselle or the Treviso (both from the ProAire line). Wonder if anyone has experience with either of these, remembering that I am going to "gut" them WRT the internal fan - just take the fan out.

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
Help needed with this beam!!!
We had part of a wall taken down in the kitchen &...
mark_rachel
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Has anybody installed 'Victoria Falls Quartzite' countertops
Has anybody had installed 'Victoria Falls Quartzite'...
Pippin
What wall oven under $2500 do you have and love?
What single wall oven <$2500 do you have and love?...
enzaenza
My Kitchen Renovation Using Scherr's RTA Cabinets Begins
We start demolition on Monday. We have been actively...
homechef59
Sponsored Products
Adagio Deep Creek Falls Fountain w/ Black Featherstone in Stainless Steel Finish
SerenityHealth
Salsbury Industries Lockers Designer Side Panel with Sloping Hood for 24 in.
Home Depot
Charles Petite Leather Loveseat in Black
$698.00 | LexMod
Laurel Leaf Estate Bronze One-Light Wall Mounted Bath Fixture
$79.00 | Bellacor
Articulate Vinyl Office Chair in Black
$129.00 | LexMod
Stearns & Foster Luxury Plush Euro Pillow Top Mattress Set
$1,299.99 | zulily
International Caravan Castillo 3-piece Resin/ Steel Folding Bistro Set
Overstock.com
Campania International Antique Pagoda Garden Statue - OR-144 - NATURAL