soft close drawer won't close

pinch_meDecember 18, 2010

I don't know what the proper term is for my drawers.... you give them a push and they close themselves quietly/gently. Well, I think I used one handle once too often instead of both handles and now one of my drawers won't finish closing. I have to wait for it to get done before I can finish pushing it closed. How do I fix it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

First try pulling it all the way out, and then giving it a tug. Sometimes that realigns the glides.

Other than that I dunno....

Bookmark   December 18, 2010 at 3:45PM
plllog

I agree that it might just need a good tug. If that doesn't work, I know the mechanism can be adjusted. Do you know the brand of closer? If it's Blum, I think there's documentation on the website, and I know people here know how to do it.

You might also try emptying the drawer and feeling around for anything that might be stuck on the edges. Maybe remove it from the rails. There might just be something stuck. My own drawers do that when I have something too tall (that rubs) inside.

Bookmark   December 18, 2010 at 4:27PM
daveinorlado

You need to remove the drawer from the rails on the cabinet. Most well made cabinets have handles of various types that unlock the drawer from the rails.

Once removed you will see a plastic like device that slides up and down the rail in front of the gas piston. You will notice that one or both of the plastic peices are not locked in the forward position. If you do not understand this when the drawer is removed. Remove another drawer that is working and you will see the differrence quickly.

The springs must be in the forward postion to pull the drawer shut while the gas piston slows it down. If the problem persists the rail that slides with the drawer does not engage the spring correctly and you need to bend the tab that engages into the spring mechanism.

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 12:08AM
pinch_me

Thanks, daveinorlado. I will try that.

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 10:33PM
More Discussions
White on White & other (mis) Matched Kitchens
I was at a friend's house, an artist, last week showing...
Carrie B
Kohler Whitehaven Sink - 33 or 36"?
Does anyone have the 33" Whitehaven single bowl?...
Melissa Silva
OT - Any Walking Dead Fans..?
Very much looking forward to tonight's episode..:)
oldbat2be
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
Undermount sink keeps separating from granite
We recently had granite installed in our kitchen and...
stnjan
Sponsored Products
Ellington Dining Cushion, Patio Furniture
$95.00 | FRONTGATE
Tuscany Glass Olive Branch Carafe
Classic Hostess
Hampton Chandelier by Hinkley Lighting
$479.00 | Lumens
Navy Blue Diamond Trellis Pillow
$24.99 | zulily
Monterey Five-drawer Chest
Overstock.com