subway tile in a rough finish?

kateydid29December 9, 2012

Does subway tile come in a rough finish? My husband is very opposed to the high gloss look. He thinks it does not contrast enough with the gloss of our granite countertops. We've not yet seen any subway tile in a matte finish in person but I suspect he also won't like that.

He wants a rougher finish but I am not crazy about tumbled stone. My main issue with it is that I am afraid there will be too much variation in a tumbled stone product, which will look too busy for our granite, which has a LOT of movement in it!

Thanks!

Kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

Your husband won't be cleaning spattered spaghetti sauce out of the cracks and crevices of a textured tile, will he? If he will, give him a few samples to practice on and he'll change his mind. If he won't, then he needs to butt out of a functional decision. Backsplashes are about pretty stuff, yes, but their primary purpose is to be easy to clean and to protect the wall from mayhem.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 3:38PM
a2gemini

You can get a matte finish - you don't want rough!

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 3:44PM
kateydid29

My husband is the cook of the family. He's already considered the cleaning issues with a rougher finish. Since he also does the cleaning (I'm a lucky girl!), I have no leg to stand on with the argument about cleaning rougher tiles!

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 3:45PM
blackchamois

I saw some tile yesterday that was called unglazed. It had a matte finish but with a little bit of texture, although I would not consider it "rough". Personally I didn't care for it at all. I'd go with a matte finish before I'd do unglazed (at least the one I saw).

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
Anyone have TCE4005 quartz counters (or any other carrara-lookalike)?
Hi there, I'm still in the process of trying to pick...
Melissa Silva
help with kitchen layout
Thoughts on this kitchen layout? What do you think...
Leigh-Ann Draheim
Is this what a mitered granite edge should look like?
We paid our granite fabricators for a mitered granite...
snookers1999
How to deal with high contractor bids based on your location?
In a way, I'm echoing what beachem is saying about...
andyscott
Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really?
I know... undermount is more popular these days --...
mudworm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™