CounterTop slab seams/termination?

loafer80December 12, 2012

We have a L-shape kitchen counter plus an island. The L-shape has a free-standing range on the long leg side approx. 13', and sink on the short side approx 7'. Both centered.
We wanted to use Luce di Luna for our countertop, but concerned where to put the seams. With the linear veins, if we put the seam at the corner wouldn't it look awkward when we turn around.
Would be nice if someone can post pictues of how they terminated slabs with linear veins and around corners.
Or should we just use the LdL on the island and use a different stone for the L-shape.

Thanks a lot!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ck_squared

Sochi used that stone but didn't "turn" the corner. She has it running the long way down the long length of the counter and on the L it's running parallel so the L length has the veins running accross the short way. Make sense?

(Hope Sochi doesn't mind me mentioning her kitchen, which is beautiful, by the way... I've been a lurker for awhile and only just started posting.)

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 3:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldryder

"L" tops in stone with a pronounced linear grain always create a challenge.

1 option is to cut the corner seam at a 45 and grain match as close as possible across the seam. sometimes this works great but it takes more stone to make the 45 degree seam.

2nd option is to put an appliance garage in the corner to mask the grain transition.

3rd option is a standard seam and just realize the best compromise is with the flow of the movement running parallel to the walls which necessitates an abrupt transition in the corner.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
Cabinet installation cost (not including cabinets themselves)
We are remodeling our kitchen (complete gut and changing...
schiari211
Interesting New Faucet - Brizo Articulating Faucet
I came across some pics of this faucet, and was curious...
ak0402
Week 45: He'p me!
He'p me! I have no idea what to ask about this week,...
CEFreeman_GW
the cabinets are coming, the cabinets are coming...
some may recall the debacle with our cabinets. delivery...
lmgch
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™