Mineral Oil and Marble

FarmerMcLarryDecember 19, 2013

I am in the process of looking for a good cutting board and have read that mineral oil is used to season wooden ones for use. My question/concern is what effect does using a mineral oil prepped cutting board have on marble? Would it be best to put a towel under the board to avoid any problems where the two meet or is it not a concern? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Is your marble sealed? With what? Oil will stain marble, as marble is porous. However, if you have your marble sealed, and maintain that sealer, you are unlikely to have issues.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 3:24PM
lascatx

My marble is sealed and I have rubbed it with Crisco to knead fondant and had no issues. Your cutting board is going to be wiped down to remove the excess, so it really, really should even cause you any pause unless you plan not to seal the marble -- in which case it is going to have plenty of patina anyway, so just enjoy it.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 5:27PM
FarmerMcLarry

Thanks, my marble is sealed with Drytreat 15 year sealer. Sounds like with some common sense, I should be good to go.

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 12:04AM
breezygirl

I have Carrara counters and a black walnut island. I prep on the island on a large walnut Boos board. Because my board was trapping water under it which could potentially damage the wood counter, my fabricator recommended I put little rubber feet on the bottom of the board.

I used to dry my board on its side on stretched across my cleanup sink after washing with some of the board resting on the marble as it is so big and heavy. After a week or so, it started to affect the marble. Hard to describe the damage, mot really an etch. Needless to say, I don't dry my board there anymore. I regularly use Boos mystery oil and Boos board cream on my board, not mineral oil, so that might be a difference.

Regardless, you might consider using some little feeties like these on your board. If nothing else, they would prevent your board from potentially sitting on water that can get under it.

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 1:17AM
More Discussions
Old, Deep Cast Iron Sink or New Sink? I can't decide
Hello, would love to hear from those of you who have...
Cindy McMahon
Prep sink location
After a lot of talking on another thread, I took sena01...
Jennifer Weinman
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
Would you please review kitchen floorplan? 1880s house
Hello, I am new to posting, though I have read the...
islandgarden
Can you help me make an idea board?
After looking more realistically at our kitchen renovation...
dmeah
Sponsored Products
Millbridge Oil Rubbed Bronze Single-Light Wall Sconce
$31.95 | Bellacor
A19 Lighting | Andros Pendant Light
$124.99 | YLighting
Olive Oil Serving Bowl
Classic Hostess
Amba K Straight KS-30 Hardwired Towel Warmer - KSB-30
$728.00 | Hayneedle
Wynwood 16" Wide Ceiling Light with Carlton Pleat Shade
Lamps Plus