Quick! Discount for Dent & Scratch

sweebyDecember 6, 2012

We just bought a new refrigerator for our pantry at Lowes. Got a reasonably good deal but did not do my usual super-bargain hunting. In other words, we didn't haggle, etc. When the guy delivered it, Hubby saw a big dent in the back corner - maybe 4" tall by 2" wide. Hubby asked the delivery guy and he said we should call the store for a discount because of that. I'm OK with the dent - it'll never be seen, etc.

So question #1 is what kind of discount is standard for a pretty good sized dent at the back of a refrigerator that wasn't bought as a scratch 'n dent?

Right after the delivery guy left, I came home and saw the new fridge for the first time. What Hubby missed is a scratch on the front door. It's about 1.25" long and right at my (short-person) eye level, so below his usual line of sight. It's pretty thin -- looks just like a dog hair actually, so I'm assuming that's what Hubby thought it was ;-). But it's not. It's a scratch that goes all the way through the paint to the bare metal. This *does* bug me and I don't want to live with the door scratch. I want a new door.

So question #2 is what kind of discount (above and beyond the dent discount #1) is fair for a 1.25" scratch on the front door of a refrigerator that wasn't bought scratch 'n dent?

Hubby says he can fix the paint so that "I'd never see it..." He's *very talented*, but honestly, I'm skeptical. But this IS the pantry, and the grocery list could cover it...

Obviously, we need to talk to Lowes today -

Your thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fb1981

No real clue, but if I had to guess I would throw out 10%-20% off. If it does bug you, I would expect it's fair to insist on having them replace it with another one in new condition.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 2:04PM
footballmom

I was in our local Lowe's two days ago (york PA) and was looking at the scratch and dent refrigerators. They were having a fabulous sal on the non scratches so I expected that the damaged ones would be highly discounted.
One of the damaged fridges which was a display with a pretty good dent in the bottom door had been 2900.00 and was reduced to 2000.00 They also had one with a repaired handle on the freezer which was normally 3200.00 and it was reduced to 2200.00 It sees as if they reduced theirs by approx 1/3.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 2:40PM
sweeby

We just got back with what I think is a good result: about 20% off for the dent in the back and they're bringing out a new door and installing it tomorrow.

I'm happy with that result --

Thanks!

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 3:38PM
Fori is not pleased

That's good.

It's one reason I sort of have to admit I like dealing with the big chains. The guys you deal with don't suffer when something needs doing so they're perfectly happy to make it right.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Does this butler pantry addition add or detract from my kitchen?
My midcentury home has a very open plan and lots of...
rockybird
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
Cherry and White Granite Kitchen Reveal - Lots of Photos!
First of all- this is a thank you post to the Gardenweb...
jenibufford
Sponsored Products
Shun Blue Honesuke Knife
$179.95 | FRONTGATE
Undercounter Jar Opener
$5.99 | zulily
Tammi 3 Bronze One-Light Spotlight with Vanilla Matte Glass
$261.00 | Bellacor
Traditional 26 x 2 Column Radiator Cast Iron Style White 11.8 x 46
Hudson Reed
Brushed Nickel Whitehaus WHKPFDCR3-9555 Single Hole Deck Mount Faucet
$599.00 | Blue Bath