First stain on white marble

kitchendetectiveDecember 16, 2008

One third of my kitchen island, the lower part, is a Thassos white marble. Every time I have tried to photograph it, the marble appears like a paper white solid. In reality, it has some pale, pale gray wisps in it. Nothing I have done to it for the past three years has left a stain--until now. I've had a Cuisinart food processor sitting on it since Thanksgiving. One of the black rubber feet left a 1/2 inch gray stain on the marble. Only I would notice it as it matches the gray wisps. I recognize it because the shape isn't a wisp and corresponds to the foot; also, it's in a spot that had no wisps before, right where I roll out dough. It looks like the marble somehow incorporated the stain, as though the stain is below the surface. I honestly don't care and am not about to do anything about it, but I thought some of the people who have been asking about whether marble stains would want to know.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmkitchen

Have you tried using a poultice? There is someone here who recommends using plain old Comet; I've used Rust Out (I think that's the name) with incredible success. (it's not just for rust)

As a white marble lover I'd love to see a picture(s) of your countertop!

Bookmark   December 16, 2008 at 1:47PM
danielle00

How does your marble do with coffee? We make a lot of espresso and when my husband does it he usually does not clean up after himself.

I think if we go with darker cabinets, we'd do something like marble (before we thought we'd get lighter cabinets and do soapstone, but it has been impossible to find a competent soapstone fabricater/supplier in my area).

Thanks!

Bookmark   December 16, 2008 at 2:28PM
kitchendetective

The reason we did not go with all white marble countertops three years ago is because DH said he didn't want to be blamed for coffee stains. We're big into espresso and French roast and not always fabulously coordinated before we've had our coffee (which is why I proposed that we need intravenous caffeine infusions before waking up, but no one took me seriously). LOL. We do not eat at the island, but guests often sit around there and we do make coffee on the counters, which, except for the baking area, are Juparana Bordeaux something or other, lots of colors that blend with
Red wine
Marinara sauce
Cranberry juice
Coffee
Jellies
Chutneys
Strawberries,
etc. Heaven knows if I have any stains on that stuff.
So, I cannot answer about the coffee as the question pertains to daily exposure. However, I did find a leaky coffee filter someone left on the marble (Thanksgiving, had 12 here for 6 days, three+ meals a day, anything could happen ;>) ). It wiped completely clean. Now, I do have tons of etching and it is a polished, not honed, surface. As I've said before, I consider the etches my "mommy merit badges," and figure one day, the counters will be honed through use.

Bookmark   December 16, 2008 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
Suggestions on this kitchen plan
Please give me your comments on this floor plan. The...
12crumbles
Corian Countertop -Show your pics!
Hi, I'm considering installing a corian countertop...
MercerM
Sink choice
I'm replacing my double bowl sink with a single bowl...
jan_in_davis
Small Kitchen Reveal - Complete with total redo of the plan during!
It was hard to even begin to post since my kitchen...
lurkerlisa
Help me with my Appliance Allowance - $15k
We have $15k in our appliance allowance. We need a...
dcnatfan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™