Backsplash dilemma I never thought I'd have!

sjhockeyfan325December 31, 2013

I thought I could pick easily and quickly. After all, we had a backsplash we loved in our old kitchen (but that one was traditional and this one is totally modern). The kitchen is very neutral color (glossy white upper cabinets, taupe-ish wood look laminate lower cabinets, fridge panels and "frame", white Ceasarstone countertops (not in yet). We only need about 20 sf (one wall) of tile. Why can't I just walk into a store and pick something?

The kitchen consists of a wall of cabinets and appliances about 11 ft long, and a 10'x3' island. It's part of a large living room, measuring about 40' x 22' in all. Kitchen and dining room share one half and living room is the other half.

Note that the dining chairs that you see in the picture will be going. We already gave away the table and sideboard, but needed to keep the chairs until we get new ones. Also, the Pottery Barn stools will either have to go or be refinished - the color of the stain doesn't work at all, but the stools are incredibly comfortable and we love them. We will have a sisal rug under the dining table (reclaimed wood with iron base). The main sectuinal and chair in the living room will be taupe leather.

Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NashvilleBuild42

What about forgetting tiles instead opting for a simple sheet glass backsplash?

This post was edited by NashvilleBuild42 on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 13:19

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 1:18PM
ck_squared

I think the tile I used would look fantastic in your kitchen. It's Casa Roma Glass Vogue, a variegated glass tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Casa Roma Glass Vogue tiles

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 1:44PM
romy718

Do you want to incorporate a specific color or are you trying to stay neutral?

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 1:46PM
ineffablespace

I think I would skip the tile and go for sheet glass as well.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 1:52PM
may_flowers

Agree, sheet glass. I wouldn't let anything detract from those cabinets!

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 2:04PM
joaniepoanie

Since there is a lot of movement in your wood grain cabs, I would do a simple stacked tile...glass or matte....with matching grout color so it doesn't look busy and compete with the cabs....something like this but in a color to coordinate with either the cabs or counter...this is from Houzz..

"\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
"\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 .HelveticaNeueInterface-M3;>
"\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red153\green153\blue153;\red241\green241\blue241;>
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\sl400\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs20 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2

Contemporary Kitchen>

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 2:11PM
sjhockeyfan325

Followup - those of you who suggest sheet glass, are you talking about clear glass, and if so, what kind of glass do you use for a backsplash?

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 2:27PM
sjhockeyfan325

I also love both of the tiles suggested - I'll share with DH this weekend, when we have time to look/order (says she very hopefully!)

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 2:28PM
cawaps

Google back-painted glass. This is just sheet glass that has been painted on the back side (with special glass paint). Since the glass is smoother and flatter than the wall, this usually gives a better effect than clear glass over a painted wall. My understand is that if it runs behind a range the glass needs to be tempered.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 3:17PM
nosoccermom

You'd use backpainted glass.

Here is a link that might be useful: backpainted glass backsplash

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 3:49PM
a2gemini

sjhockey - I really wanted back painted glass for my backsplash but my kitchen could not make friends with it. My kitchen turned out more transitional than modern and it didn't work for us but I think it would be great in yours,
Be ready for sticker shock.
Starphire glass is best as it doesn't look like a green coke bottle,
There are many companies that do this - one was called Bear glass - I managed to get on their mailing list, so easy to remember the name.
So exciting!

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 7:27PM
lori_inthenw_gw

I second the vote for a stacked glass tile with same color grout. Not too small, maybe 6 x 12 or 9 x something. It's going to be great, whatever you do!

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 1:54AM
nosoccermom

I'm in a fairly high priced part of the country. Friends of mine had a backpainted glass BS installed about 2 years ago. They found it both very easy to clean and surprisingly affordable. Not sure what kind of tile they had considered, but the glass was not more expensive than a tiled backsplash. I could find out where they got it if you're interested

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 11:25AM
may_flowers

If you have to use a tile, I'd go with the large format like lori suggested. I don't know how large glass subways come, but the goal is to minimize the lines. You want the eye to go to the unique cabinets and not shift between the cabs and BS.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 1:33PM
sjhockeyfan325

Thanks again, and Happy New Year! (I'm sitting at my [plywood] island - templating is tomorrow - having a cup of coffee while DH cleans up from dinner guests last night, and I am just so pleased! You know how some kitchens and or living spaces are just conducive to "sitting" - we'll, this is one of them!)

Lori, how's the bathroom project coming? The linear drain works fantastically!

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 2:39PM
lori_inthenw_gw

Glad to hear the drain is great. Ours is still sitting in the garage. We had to get it WAY early because it goes in a slab and it's a curbless installation, so the GC had to calculate everything backwards from that to get all the planes to match up. Or something like that. Look for pix in the old drain thread. In March!

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 3:48PM
firstmmo

I echo the back-painted glass backsplash whole-heartedly!

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 5:11PM
detroit_burb

I love the glass backspash idea, though I would take note of what looks like an industrial type vibe and suggest wire mesh safety glass.

http://img.diynetwork.com/DIY/2009/05/13/KB-2469121_hbbox107-CostCutKitchens-Tip10_lg.jpg

someone can remind me how to embed the photo in my post?

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 6:57PM
More Discussions
High backsplash install quote
My contractor just gave us a quote of $2,200 to install...
leemiller
Kitchen/House Reveal - DIY with Scherr's RTA. Better late then never
I have been meaning to post here for years but I really...
toddimt
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
Resurrecting kitchen project Part II
My husband’s kitchen deadline is still May, but it...
margo456
It starts with the sink... Kohler Stages 33 or 45?
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and just starting a kitchen...
ediblekitchen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™