What would you do?

chellamaralDecember 11, 2012

Due to some tile spacing issues, it was better to extend the tile to butt up against the door jamb on the left. The right end on the adjacent wall with open shelving will be bull-nosed right to the edge of the wall.

question #1...should I extend the tile on the left wall down to the baseboard along the lower cabinet?

question # 2...should I extend the tile on the left side up the side of the cabinet to the same height as the tile under the shelf?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
badgergal

Yes to both questions. Looks kind of unfinished the way it is now.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 12:34PM
kailuamom

I would match the lines of the backsplash. If you go to the baseboard elsewhere in the kitchen, you should here too. If your lowest tiling point is the counter, I would stop at the counter.

On the upper end, yes definitely match the upper level line.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 12:42PM
lavender_lass

Are you going to put tile on the other side of the lower shelf bracket? If so, then I'd add more tile on the left side of the cabinet (to match the tile under the shelf). If not, then I'd just add the last tile and leave paint showing against left side of cabinet and right side of shelf brackets.

If you don't add the tile on the left side of the cabinet, then I wouldn't add tile down to the baseboard. Personally, with a backsplash, I wouldn't want tile along the edge of the lower cabinets...unless you're trying to recreate an older vintage kitchen, with the tile walls. Just my two cents :)

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 12:43PM
chellamaral

OK! Sort of the same question...

Do I stop the tile right to the edge of counter-top, or extend it past to match the other, and extend up and down? This wall has a curved edge, so I really can't bullnose right to the edge.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 12:43PM
chellamaral

I agree with you, but HD doesn't see it my way! I've never seen tile down to the floor, so I wasn't sure if it was acceptable. The tile will also be applied in the new beverage area in the left of this photo at the same height

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 12:48PM
chellamaral

Yes, the tile will be on the right of the shelf brackets. Phew, I'm glad you see it the way I do....I will be showing your answers to DH! Thanks!

While I'm asking....I originally planned on painting the new banquette seating white and the shelving in that area as well. Thought if everything was cherry, it would be overkill. Family now says stain the seating so it wears better. Can't decide!The shelving in the kitchen will be stained now that I see them up...had also planned to paint be changed my mind again! BTW, countertop in beverage area will be white marble of some sort

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 12:56PM
desertsteph

didn't we just recently (last few wks) have someone tile on down the little strip (like yours) by a doorway and cabinet/counter? I think everyone gave that a thumbs up.

didn't they?

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
1880s house kitchen: need to work in the current space
Note this is cross-posted at suggestion of a reader Plans...
islandgarden
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
Help needed with this beam!!!
We had part of a wall taken down in the kitchen &...
mark_rachel
Feedback on revised kitchen layout
Hello again! After receiving some great feedback for...
kevinhoene
Undermount sink keeps separating from granite
We recently had granite installed in our kitchen and...
stnjan
Sponsored Products
Taupe Blackout Tie-Up Shade
$19.99 | zulily
Industrial 13" High Dark Bronze 59-Watt LED Floodlight
Lamps Plus
Aphrodite I 5-Tier Chandelier by Trend Lighting
$2,190.00 | Lumens
Mid-Century Cylinder Bronze Night Light Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Double Glass Brushed Nickel 4-Light Multi Light Pendant
Euro Style Lighting