30 inch countertop depth and electrical code

kineiDecember 13, 2012

Are there any code restrictions with deep countertops (~30") and electrical outlets? I was told by someone that the outlets must be with in 24" of the edge of the countertop. The way I read it was if the outlet was on a wall not directly behind the countertop, the outlet must be with in 24" from the end of the countertop.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Angie_DIY

You seem to be talking about two different things in your post.

I was told by someone that the outlets must be with in 24" of the edge of the countertop.
I can find nothing in the 2008 NEC that specifies that. The only thing it says about depth of countertops is that a countertop of greater than 12" deep must get receptacles.

The way I read it was if the outlet was on a wall not directly behind the countertop, the outlet must be with in 24" from the end of the countertop.
Here, you seem to be talking about peninsular countertops? What else could it mean if there were not a wall behind the countertop (other than an island)?

There is a section on peninsular countertops. To the best of my knowledge, the section [which is 210.52(C)(3) ] just says that you need at least one outlet for a peninsula that is longer than 24" long.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 2:03PM
GWlolo

No code I am aware of that specifies countertop depth. We have 30" countertop throughout.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 3:23PM
brickeyee

The 24 inches is the distance allowed parallel to the wall from any place on the counter more than 12 inches wide to a receptacle.

That essentially means the outlets must be spaced no more than 48 inches apart.

Sinks and built in appliances like ranges do not count in the 24 inch rule, but you need a receptacle within 24 inches of the edges of the sink or appliance on both sides.

While the peninsula rule is for one receptacle, of you have a long one adding more is a good idea.
Receptacles cannot be face up in a counter either.

One of the real headaches people run into is when window stools are flush to the counter, leaving no place for receptqacles.

While the NEC uses "wall counter space" few AHJs will allow you to skip the receptacles when the window is there.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 5:20PM
Fori is not pleased

It did not come up with my remodel and I'm in a pretty strict area.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 6:36PM
PeterH2

+1 to what Brick said - 24" is along the wall; where the edge of the counter is is not relevant.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 7:25PM
kinei

That is what I thought, I was just told different.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 1:20PM
More Discussions
reasonable time before receipt of general contractor's estimate ?
What is a reasonable time to wait before a contractor's...
jeannette10
Do you like your Viscont White granite counters?
Like so many others, I lust over Calcutta gold marble...
Nan57
Anyone have solid walnut slab cabinets?
Howdy! We're trying to decide if we want to do walnut...
Fori is not pleased
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
Review a friend's kitchen?
You all helped me tremendously in planning our kitchen...
camandann
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™