call out to ABB folks re: installing hood

jckgmkDecember 13, 2013

To those of you who belong to the ABB club--did you install your hood anyway? My plan is to tile behind the stove up to the ceiling and have been told to wait until the backsplash is in before installing the chimney style hood. Is this a common practice? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

You can also install a piece of 1/4" plywood to the same template as the hood on the wall in order to account for the added depth of the tile and go ahead and tile right up to it. IF you know which hood and thickness of the tile you'll be getting that is.

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 1:33PM
jckgmk

Sorry if I was not clear or I do not understand your suggestion. I have the chimney style hood, but do not have the tile for the backsplash. I was told it would be too difficult to tile around the hood (plan is to go to the ceiling), so it is better not to install the hood before installing the backsplash. I am not sure how putting in the plywood would help (seems like it would just as difficult to remove the plywood to install the tile). I read about all these GW posters not putting in their backsplash for months and wondered if they waited to install their hoods.

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 1:55PM
cat_mom

We put our hood up, took it down for the tiling, and then put it back up again.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 1:50AM
jckgmk

Great-thanks! It makes sense to me but I was told it would be very difficult/time consuming, etc. to do.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 5:02PM
detroit_burb

our chimney style hood has a mounting plate that the hood is screwed into, and a cosmetic chimney covers the duct that actually goes out the wall, not all the way up to the ceiling. we will take the hood and duct cover off if and when I ever choose a backsplash, but the mounting plate will stay put.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 8:20PM
breezygirl

Here's my hood, sans BS.

I'm planning to Eurosplash this whole wall like you're planning with yours. It's been two years now like this. DH said he wouldn't get the rangetop hooked up to gas unless the hood was working. My HVAC installer said we could take the hood down (it's one piece) to tile and then replace, claiming there was enough give in the duct hole placement to allow for this. Now, the tile I'm seriously considering is a bit thicker than a normal tile so I'm a bit worried about the hood.

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 3:49AM
More Discussions
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
How old will I be?
How long did your kitchen remodel take, from the tearing...
ryseryse_2004
soapstone sinks
We are considering installing a soapstone farmhouse...
arch123
Terracotta versus porcelain versus ???? for floors
Would love to have input on what to use for the floor....
sayde
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™