Canned lights only above island?

mrspeteDecember 28, 2012

I'm unsure of myself here and would like some advice.

When it comes to kitchens, I like clean, open spaces. I want most of my stuff put away in cabinets or in the pantry. As I stare at more and more kitchen pictures, I realize that this also includes ceiling light fixtures:

I have pictures of the interior of the house we plan to build, and the kitchen features THREE pendants above a moderate-sized island (5-6 feet) . . . PLUS a light fixture above the nearby sink. I find it "too busy" and distracting. It looks like too much clutter on the ceiling.

I'm thinking I'd like to have one nice pendant above the sink (or two sconces flanking?) and a larger, matching or coordinating pendant light above the small kitchen table . . . and maybe just can lights above the island. I'm sure they'd give ample light for working, but would my island seem "unfinished" if it didn't have a more "visible" light above it?

I'm concerned that in trying to avoid what I see in this overly busy picture of "my kitchen" that I'm going to far in the open-and-clean direction that I might be creating a space that's too sterile?

And I'm thinking that the safest route might be to build with no decorative light fixture above the island, and later -- if we find the design lacking -- to add another light. Of course, the difficulty is that the same fixture might no longer be available.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lolauren

We have only cans in our kitchen and they provide adequate light. Our kitchen is open to other rooms with hanging lights. I knew a few more (pendants) would be way too much. I rarely like the (to me, cluttered,) look of pendants over islands.

I think you should trust your gut since this will be your kitchen.

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 1:43PM
motherof3sons

We used three pendants above the island in our open concept LR, DR, kitchen. Can lights throughout.

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 3:36PM
laughablemoments

I asked a similar question a while back about a plan we've since shelved. But here is the discussion, FWIW: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0917242020003.html

I like other people's pendants. But I like the clean nothing in my sight-line for working in, too.

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Why are my granite edges lighter than the top?
Perhaps some of you recall my ordeal with my kitchen...
pumpkinhouse
Responsiveness of cabinet manufacturers
I was convinced that Barker was the cabinet company...
seb225
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
Final Reveal - Majra's Two-Toned Kitchen
Before After Details Schuler cabinetry, Manhattan door...
Majra
Granite Install Advice, Which Support System is Better?
Which of these two mechanical support systems would...
athomesewing
Sponsored Products
Access Lighting Nimbus C50046 Flush Mount - C50046CHALBEN1113BS
$104.00 | Hayneedle
Bruck | Cyrus 120V Down Pendant Light
$183.75 | YLighting
Tremble Giclee Apothecary Clear Glass Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Cortez Satin Nickel Three-Light Bath Vanity Fixture
$594.00 | Bellacor
Cosby Leather Sectional - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture