Fix or fixture for 80s recessed flourescent? Low cost?

lazy_gardensDecember 16, 2012

The lighting in my rather small kitchen is the 1980s standard recessed huge fluorescent fixture in the center with yellowing plastic panels flush with the ceiling.

Is there a way to drag it at least into 2001 without blowing my budget?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caxsom

You can remove everything and then texture, paint and put can lights in the recessed part. That's what we did as a quick fix to an outdated light and it was inexpensive.

You might get lucky, as when we removed our metal brackets and the plastic...inside the recess was already textured and primed. We just had to remove the lights and with minimal repair to the drywall it was ready to paint. Then DH added some can lights inside.

Made the kitchen feel taller too.

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 12:31PM
desertsteph

a quick / easy fix for now would be to change the yellowed panels. you can get new ones at HD or L's. they also have replacement fixtures.

later on you can go with patching the ceiling and a new light fixture - after the budget recovers.

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 12:43PM
desertsteph

".inside the recess was already textured and primed. We just had to remove the lights and with minimal repair to the drywall it was ready to paint"

that'd be great! hope the OP finds that when checking out her fixture.

I have 2 of those and if that's what we find I'll be changing mine out - maybe next yr. I'm too tired and poor this year. and I don't mean just when the yr # changes!

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 2:34PM
lazy_gardens

I've looked inside the box - it's yucky painted (or not) plywood.

I like the "add drywall and can lights" idea. I'll run that idea past my long-suffering handyman/contractor. And SO, who has an unreasonable fondness for fluorescent lights.

Although this is appealing, if you ignore the total lack of crown molding anywhere else in the house. Just clean up that box, call it a recessed ceiling and add a chandelier.

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 5:39PM
More Discussions
What do you think of the deeper Ikea wall cabinets?
To me, it would seem that 15" deep is excessive....
Chinchette
Here's as close to a reveal as I may ever get... :)
I'm not going to call this a reveal because I am not...
crcollins1_gw
Neolith polished Classtone?
Has anyone seen any of the new neolith classtone surfaces...
nels1678
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™