PSA for Subzero owners

mtnrdredux_gwDecember 13, 2013

"Cleaning your condenser on a regular basis will help keep your unit running efficiently. While your compressors run, air is drawn through the condenser area where dust and/or pet hair can collect. Our recommendation is to vacuum this area at a minimum twice a year. Failure to do so could result in temperature loss, mechanical failure, or damage. instructions are in your Use & Care Guide"

Our freezer drawers are malfunctioning and this is probably why. We should know better, we had a similar issue with the SZ fridge in another house. I suppose it might be true for other fridges too?

So just thought I'd remind everyone. Maybe we will try to remember to do it when the clocks turn back twice a year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snookums2

Thank you for the PSA! It is so easy to forget about or postpone these things. Can you point out the compressor area or is it obvious? I vacuum the back grill and scoot around underneath with a crevice tool but don't recall what all the parts look like or know what a compressor looks like.

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 3:42PM
annkh_nd

I have a long, skinny brush that I use to clean the dust bunnies/dog hair puppies from under the fridge. Periodically I pull the fridge out and vacuum the back.

It sure can't hurt.

Here is a link that might be useful: fridge brush

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 3:55PM
mtnrdredux_gw

Do you have your "use and care guide" by any chance? Or maybe you can download it? I think it varies by model. These were freezer drawers. Do you have a fridge?

It's important to remember -- it can void your warranty they say!

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 3:55PM
snookums2

This is a fridge. I thought maybe it was a describable piece. Big round thing or something. I can check the online manual easiest.

Good reminder!

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 4:08PM
springroz

Does this apply to built-ins (not necessarily S-Z), because I always kept the old K-A clean, but see no way to get in to the built-in. Mine is a Thermador.

Nancy

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 4:09PM
GauchoGordo1993

Actually this applies to pretty much all refrigerators because all fridges draw air through heat exchangers, and dust collects on things when you draw air through them, and heat exchanger efficiency declines as dust accumulates because the dust acts as an insulator.

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 4:14PM
mtnrdredux_gw

hey, look at this!!

Here is a link that might be useful: from SZ

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 4:33PM
snookums2

" draw air through heat exchangers, and dust collects on things when you draw air through them, ... efficiency declines as dust accumulates because the dust acts as an insulator.

So why doesn't my HVAC man clean the interior of the unit when tuning up? I thought they did that but he said no. I was always told worst thing for equipment and electronics is dust.

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 4:34PM
juliekcmo

snookums,
HVAC maintenance will include cleaning the outdoor coils on the condensing unit.

The indoor portion of your system relies on the air filter to keep the evaporator coil clean. So change the air filter as recommended.

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
please share feedback merillat classic, eastman, armstrong
I've been looking for moderately priced cabinets. Please...
abekker
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Suggestions on this kitchen plan
Please give me your comments on this floor plan. The...
12crumbles
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™