Black countertop, white non-apron sink?

monkeypuzzleDecember 24, 2009

I am considering a very dark grey countertop that reads black. The closest Kohler cast iron sink color is Thunder Grey which has a 5 week lead time. I am not sure it would look good anyway. Black Black is not the closest match and is a really shiny, really dark black. I just read that it shows white spots.

Would a black countertop look good with a white non-apron sink? Has anyone seen pictures of this combination?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eandhl

My sister has a black and gray granite with a big double non apron white sink and it looks good. She does have white cabs too.

Bookmark   December 24, 2009 at 11:04AM
monkeypuzzle

Good. I am wondering why I don't see any pictures of kitchens like this.

Bookmark   December 24, 2009 at 12:10PM
melanie1422

That's what I have - soapstone counters (greeny grey but read black) and a white undermount Kohler Cast-Iron sink. I'll try to get a picture of it for you soon. I love it!

Bookmark   December 24, 2009 at 12:52PM
sweeby

Have you considered Silgranite in Anthracite? (A near-black)
People here who have these sinks LOVE them!

Bookmark   December 24, 2009 at 12:56PM
monkeypuzzle

Silgranite in Anthracite is a good match and Pegasus in Metallic Black is an even better match. Blanco tells me the super single doesn't fit into a 33 inch cabinet for a sink bump out.

Bookmark   December 24, 2009 at 1:51PM
judydel

I have soapstone with a white drop in. I love it.

Bookmark   December 24, 2009 at 2:01PM
monkeypuzzle

Judydel, that does look good. I feel a little better.

Would a brass faucet look better with a white case iron sink or black granite sink? (Right now I don't know if I could put a black granite sink with a brass pvd faucet because I don't know if the faucet reach would work with the sink or if I can find a granite sink to fit the sink base.)

Bookmark   December 24, 2009 at 2:20PM
oopsie913

i think stainless or brushed chrome is much nicer with black and white IMHO. I have stainless sink with stainless faucet absolute black honed and white cabinets. I only wanted a white sink for a minute because it just seemed to be too broken up visually to have the white sink to me. The stainless sink does not distract me, although it is an undermount. I think of my counters as a backdrop for whatever else I accessorize with. Good luck Hope you had a good Christmas day.

Bookmark   December 25, 2009 at 8:20PM
monkeypuzzle

OOpsie, the problem with a stainless sink is that I think it will clash with the brass faucet.

Would a brass faucet look better with a white cast iron sink or black granite sink (if I find one that fits).

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 10:12AM
judydel

I agree that I think Chrome or SS would look better with black counters regardless of whether you have a white sink or black granite sink.

But that said, I could change my mind if I saw a photo of a brass faucet with black counters. I don't think I've seen that combo.

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 1:55PM
monkeypuzzle

Judydel, mine might be the first in the forum. Unless I pick one of the beige counters in the other thread. (I'm torn between black or beige counters).

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 4:03PM
megpie77

We have soapstone counters without an apron front sink and I think it looks just fine.

And here's to give you a visual of it at a distance

Bookmark   December 27, 2009 at 11:05AM
monkeypuzzle

Megpie, fine? That looks stunning! That looks exactly like the faucet I plan on buying..Danze Opulence..is it? You MUST tell me about your sink and how the faucet reach works with it and if there is splashing. Also, please dish about your floors.

Bookmark   December 27, 2009 at 12:38PM
boxerpups

I think the gray/black counters will look lovely with
a white kohler sink. I used to have a white kohler sink
and loved it. I agree that they chip or scratch over time.
There is a product you can buy to recover them but white
looks so much prettier.
~boxerpups

RAK Ceramic Kitchen Sink Gourmet sinks

Plexicor/Portland/13Portland from Photobucket

Tovey

Carltoro designs

Kohler Fete

Bijou Blue Green

the only pics I could find with brass and black with
white sink....

Traditional Faucet

Bookmark   December 27, 2009 at 8:22PM
monkeypuzzle

Boxerpups, thanks for the pictures. I really like that countertop called Plexicor. I wonder what that is.

Boxerpups, do you think a white cast iron sink or a black granite sink would look best with a blackish countertop?

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 9:00AM
boxerpups

MonkeyPuzzel,

Get what you love !! Everyone on GW agrees If you love
white go for it. If you love black go for it.

If I am forced to vote. I had a white Kohler and loved
it but I had the ugly white tiles and the sink always
looked whiter than my ugly tiles. I wanted to keep my
sink but my DH really wanted stainless. You will love
your Kohler which ever color you get. So if I had to
vote for you. I would say white because I used to have
white and loved it.

I think the Plexicor is a laminate counter. I wanted
you to see the counter with the lovely white sink.

~boxerpups

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 9:29AM
megpie77

Monkeypuzzle-thank you for the compliment!
The faucet reach is just fine for me. I like to use the sprayer often. It only splashes if there is a bowl of water in the sink and I aim right in it...but I assume this happens no matter what faucet one has. I do notice a pool of water around the base of the faucet though. Perhaps because I'm a bit sloppy and my hands are always dripping wet when turning off the faucet.

The sink is Rohl Allia #6307. It is fireclay and am very pleased with it. Fireclay is white all the way through so if it scratches it should be a white scratch. THis is what I was told. It is about 10in deep. Add another inch and a half or so because of the counters and it is pretty deep. This may bother some but I love it.

Our floors are red oak hardwood. A great company put them in to match our existing 1963 red oak floors and did a fantastic job!

The link below is just another visual of black couters with a brass faucet. If you click on the pic it will enlarge.

Here is a link that might be useful: brass faucet

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 11:47AM
paula0564

Hi I know this off topic, I jumped to hear what folks have for Apron sinks (love them)I think soapstone and apron sinks look terrific together

Judydel..... I really like your faucet, what kind is it?

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 3:03PM
monkeypuzzle

Paula, I will bet Judydel's faucet is the Danze Opulence I plan on buying.

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 4:12PM
paula0564

Monkeypuzzle: I'll have to check that out and see if it comes in ORB, because my cabinet handles have a ceramic cente piece and that faucet would tie everything together perfectly!

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 7:48PM
monkeypuzzle

Paula, it does come in ORB, make sure you buy the correct one. There is a Danze Opulence kitchen faucet that is a pullout and a Danze Opulence kitchen faucet that is victorian style.

Also, for the ORB, I remember seeing something in some old posts about the old ones looking a bit purplish and the new ones correcting that problem so make sure you get a new one.

Here is a link that might be useful: opulence

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 7:57PM
judydel

Thanks Paula. The faucet is made by Franke and it's from the Orient Express series. I love it so far. It is well made (copper pipes) and I love that you can just push the button and have the spray stay on by itself.

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 8:13PM
monkeypuzzle

Which would look prettier on a blackish counter, a white cast iron sink or a black granite sink?

Bookmark   December 29, 2009 at 10:48AM
tilequeen

The counter top Plexicor looks like Verde Maritaca Imperiale granite or it could be Bahama Blu granite.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artfiredearthstonetiles

Bookmark   December 31, 2009 at 7:17AM
monkeypuzzle

Megpie has led me to the perfect sink and it doesn't come in black so I will get white whether I go with beige or black counters.

Thanks, Megpie!

Bookmark   December 31, 2009 at 9:21AM
washgrover

Megpie77, could I ask what knobs and pulls you used -- they look great and I think would work in the kitchen that we are supposed to get next week! Thank you to boxerpups for posting those photos -- they have been my guide for figuring out what sink we want (still deciding). Thank you all.

Bookmark   March 2, 2010 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
Closet pantry or not?
I am doing a reno of our kitchen and wanted to get...
abbabug
What could cause this cracking?
Hi all, I purchased white painted cabinets from a mid-range...
sstrazisar
How To Buy a Faucet
Ive lurked and IÂve learned a lot from GardenWeb....
francesca_sf
Northern Jersey/Big Apple
I am going to be in this area for a couple weeks. I...
a2gemini
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™