Polishing Caesarstone Counters?

GrabbitDecember 20, 2013

So recently I had a a new vanity top cut and installed in my master bathroom made of a Ceasarstone remnant. The install went fine and the edge is nice and shiny but the tops seems dull compared to the polished edge. I tried a 3000 grit wet/dry polishing pad on my angle grinder in an inconspicuous spot under where the sink will go. It didn't come out so well, in fact it left some brownish burn marks.

Has anyone here polished their Ceasarstone counters successfully? If so how did you do it and what did you use?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Grabbit

FYI, this is what google says they should look like...

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 9:58AM
may_flowers

Caesarstone has a low sheen, not a shine like granite. It is more reflective where light hits it. It's acrylic and quartz, not quartz, which is why it burned. You'll scratch the acrylic using abrasives before you'll get a shine on it.

My installer dulled two small spots on my Caesarstone with Barkeeper's Friend while trying to clean off the epoxy. He wanted to attempt to buff out the spots. He took a 5 hour class from Caesarstone. After 2 1/2 hours of buffing with various Caesarstone-approved polishing pastes and pads, it only dulled a wider area of the countertop. We got a new countertop.

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 10:19AM
live_wire_oak

You have the honed version, not the polished. You absolutely CAN NOT polish it. Pros can't even really polish a top, only the small edges, and only with the right equipment. It has to come from the factory polished.

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 12:02PM
Trebruchet

Allow me to respectfully disagree with lwo. Estone can be top polished, the only system that I know of is Steve's Polishing Pro System. I could link to other stone restorer's websites with pictures to prove, but I don't want to run into advertising problems here.

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 6:53PM
Grabbit

I understand the difference between the honed and polished slabs. I guess my question is.... If I have the honed version, how was the edge polished to a brighter sheen than honed and why can't I do the same for the top?

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 2:29AM
Trebruchet

Grabbit:

You can match the honed and polished version on the top, but you're going to have to invest in Steve's Polishing Pro System and practice. It's not considered a DIY project generally.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 7:29PM
srosen

I agree with Trebruchet -but working with estone can be unpredictable. Lighter colors are easier than darker colors.
I don't consider this to be a diy project as this can be easily turned into an epic adventure.
Testing is needed and it would be in your best interest to hire someone who has a lot of experience with honing and polishing estone.

Bookmark   December 28, 2013 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
Ikea Process?
We're re-thinking things and are now leaning towards...
annaw_123
how to deal with delays
our cabinets were supposedly on pace to be delivered...
lmgch (formerly on GW)
Closet pantry or not?
I am doing a reno of our kitchen and wanted to get...
abbabug
Delta arctic stainless faucet with Kraus ss sink
We are planning to buy a Krauss ss 30" or 32"...
poppy3212
Where do you keep your Aprons?
While DD is cleaning out all our kitchen cabinets,...
debrak_2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™