Cleaning Waterlox Countertop

2LittleFishiesDecember 5, 2012

Waterlox suggest either their cleaner, mild soap and water, or a mixture of vinegar and water in spray bottle...

For my marble, I'm doing a spray bottle of either water and soap or as some suggested rubbing alcohol and water with maybe some lavender oil.

Just wondering if alcohol mixture would also work for the waterloxed island top so I can just have one clean up bottle for everything...

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterlox Cleaning

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2LittleFishies

The response from waterlox regarding alcohol/water mixture:

"No, I would not recommend that cleaning regimen. You could try our
cleaner which mimics white vinegar and water..."

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 10:17AM
ghostlyvision

Alcohol dissolves some finishes so I wouldn't use it on the Waterlox, I'd use the vinegar/water and mix it up at home (since they say their cleaner 'mimics' it).

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 1:41PM
2LittleFishies

Doesn't it smell though?

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 2:26PM
BeastBaby

My vinegar/water cleaner (aka squirt bottle from beauty supply shop that I fill up about 1/5 of the way with white vinegar and the rest with water) has a very minor scent that dissipates after about 5-10 minutes. I use it on every kitchen surface since it's a natural disinfectant. It's what my wood countertop manufacturer recommended for their waterloxed wood counter tops, too.

Alcohol will remove sharpie (permanent marker) from a wood countertop that's been waterloxed, so it's OK to use it once or twice without needing a refinish, but definitely don't use alcohol on it as a cleaning agent. There's a thread i will find and post on here once i can find it that shows what alcohol does to waterloxed wood.

(The wood manufacturers recommendations are in the "technical help page" under "Daily maintenance" - I included the link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: www.craft-art.com/tech - see daily maintenance

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 2:44PM
2LittleFishies

Thanks, Beastbaby! If I go that route maybe I'll just use that for the marble as well... Do you think putting a little lavender oil in it would hurt? I'll start simplel though : )

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 2:47PM
ghostlyvision

Vinegar is a really good deodorant so as its own smell evaporated it also takes any other scent nearby with it. :)

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 3:02PM
grlwprls

Whoa. Wait. You can't use vinegar on marble. It also dissolves/etches marble. I assume you know that, but I'd hate for it to cause confusion. My marble floors in my old house were destroyed (or as I preferred to think of it, made vintage) when the tile setter used vinegar to clean the grout haze off the tiles.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 3:24PM
lalithar

One caution on lavendar oil.. It is an endocrine disrupter like Soy.. I would avoid it especially if you have young girls and women with any family history of hormonal issues, cancers etc. We were advised this explicitly by our pediatrician.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 3:45PM
2LittleFishies

grlwprls- Yes! Sorry, I had a momentary lapse.

lalitha- Thanks for that info! ; )

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 3:52PM
breezygirl

Lalitha--Wow! I've never heard that before. With the Lynch syndrome and so many associated cancers running through my Dad's side of the family, that's very useful info. Lots of female cancers, colon, and pancreatic cancer thought the generations. There are lots of lovely essential oils out there besides lavender from which to choose, fortunately. Thanks!

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
Where do you keep your Aprons?
While DD is cleaning out all our kitchen cabinets,...
debrak_2008
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
Pot filler, Gooseneck or Pullout over Prep sink
I’ve searched the internet for similar topics but...
Gemcap
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™