How soft are my alder countertops? ANSWER!

lazy_gardensDecember 7, 2013

Danged soft!

I was trying to get the mustard out of the bottom of the plastic squeeze bottle so I tapped it firmly several times on the counter ... and left faint little round dents.

A close examination of the counter shows a lot of tiny scuffs and dents and scratches. It's patina! I have PATINA on my counters at last.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
powermuffin

Ha, ha, that is funny! I have old pine that I refinished. It is beautiful. I used my Silpat mat to roll out pie crusts, and I can see the very faint grid marks from it on my counters. Patina! You got to love it.
Diane

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 9:04AM
jellytoast

All of us anal retentive freaks need to take a lesson! Relax and enjoy!

:-)

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 10:02AM
Fori is not pleased

If it makes you feel any better, I put a little gouge in my 10 gauge stainless steel wrapped plywood counter doing something similar--trying to unjam a heavy duty staple gun with a hammer...patina happens! :P

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 10:53AM
romy718

I had a jar of salsa I was unsuccessfully trying to open. I used to bang the edge of the lid on my formica. I was at a loss of what to do because I'm not doing that on my wood or marble. I handed it to DH to open but I will have to find a surface in my house to bang jars on when I'm home alone. I do have one of those rubber things to open jars but sometimes they just need a good whack on a counter.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 11:08AM
may_flowers

Romy, I open lids easily with a thick rubber band from broccoli stretched around the lid.

It's kind of crazy that we're afraid of our counters!

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 12:14PM
jellytoast

Haha, mayflowers, ain't that the truth. I saw my DH doing push-ups off the edge of our granite yesterday and told him to stop. All the cracked and broken granite posts have me scared for the health of my countertops!!

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 1:31PM
lazy_gardens

"I will have to find a surface in my house to bang jars on when I'm home alone"

I tap the edge of the jar with the handle of a screwdriver, and use a "Master Wrench" basically a rubber strip with a pry handle on it.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 2:43PM
countryatheart

For anyone having a hard time opening a jar-usually if you take a small spoon or somethingÃÂ ÃÂ that you can just get under the edge of the lid, and pry or twist the spoon just a little to "pop" the seal, the jar should twist right open without too much effort. I find this usually works for me.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 2:45PM
Fori is not pleased

Maybe that could be a new product to market--a wall mounted tile or something made for banging jars on.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 4:27PM
snookums2

I've never banged a jar to open it. Hot water, spoon under lid, or rubber grip seems to do the job.

Love patina but yes it's stressful when new and in process!

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 19:00

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 6:46PM
kksmama

Wow. I had no idea there was any way other than mine (bang edge of jar with handle of knife) to break seal to open jars. Spoon under lid makes *so* much sense! Like, of course (!) the teacher doesn't really live at the school, and sometimes visits the grocery store like a real person.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 6:52PM
dan1888

The Janka hardness test measures the resistance of a sample of wood to denting and wear.
Janka Hardness-
Red Alder is 580.
Cumaru- Brazilian Teak 3580.
Hard Maple 1450.
Ash 1320.
White Oak 1350.
Cherry 995.

Here is a link that might be useful: Janka hardness values

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 8:05PM
romy718

You learn something new every day on GW. I will being trying all these new methods to open jars.
Lazygardens - further explain the "Master Wrench", please.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 20:39

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 8:30PM
cookncarpenter

Cool chart Dan! I used Mesquite for my bar top counters, I realized it was hard when cutting and routing it, but wow 2345 is really hard!

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 8:34PM
northcarolina

Patina is a fine thing. :) Better a dent in a wood top than a chip in laminate or granite, eh? (If you had to have one or the other, that is.) Are you sure they're in the wood and not just in the finish? Not that it really matters and you have a great attitude about it, just wondering.

I have posted about this on the Cooking forum, but I use a Kuhn Rikon jar opener that is fantastic. They make more than one; mine is white, inexpensive, I think it's called The Gripper. Best jar opener I've found, especially for when you can grip tightly with only one hand. Lid-banging and hot water have never worked well for me.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 9:04PM
Kitten1313

hahaa! I have alder cabinets, and since I prefer the (pre)-distressed look, the cabinet maker literally beat the cabinets with a chain to mark it up. I should have let my 3 young boys go to work on it and save him the trouble! lol

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 5:08PM
gr8daygw

I just take what we in the south call a "church key" otherwise known as a can opener and work the tip of the sharp point under the lid until it pops the vacuum seal and then the lid just screws off easily.

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 10:16PM
sail_away

For lifting sealed jar lids (breaking the seal), I have a jarkey which works very well. I see they now cost quite a bit more than when I got mine, but I'd replace mine if it broke or I lost it. It works well on canning jar lids, too. Link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Jarkey

Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 1:38AM
lazy_gardens

"Master Wrench" = rubber strap wrench

You wrap it around the lid and have a handle for leverage. I have weak hand strength, sometimes none, and every advantage I can get helps.

Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 1:40PM
breezygirl

how about your cutting board for banging? I do that now.....after I learned the hard way with my black walnut counter. ouch. Yes, patina. I use that word often around my counter.

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 4:33AM
KelliC

I usually just use a paint can opener haha. I somehow ended up with three so one hangs out in my kitchen now.

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 2:14PM
peony4

You should see the patina on my Mariana soapstone. If I raise my voice, it scratches. ;-)

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 8:19PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Dietitian
Outlet Covers for Glass Tile?
Hubby and I finally found a backsplash tile that we...
ctincc
Tile experts - anyone know who makes this tile
We want to put it on a fireplace wall. I saw it in...
loves2cook4six
Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?
I think dark hardwood floors look beautiful with off...
peemps
How many cabinet estimates do you get?
Uggh, I tried to search but am giving up. We are considering...
najames
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™