Wilsonart Decorative Edges

cblanco75December 16, 2013

I am having having Wilsonart HD laminate countertops installed in my kitchen. The installer, recommended by my GC gave me a GREAT price on installation (under $18 sq ft), however when I asked about edges, he said that is only a square edge. If I wanted a rounded or bevel edge, both considered "basic" edges he wanted another $18 a linear foot.

So I did some hunting online and found that Wilsonart makes these decorative edges already manufactured. They are glue on, sold in 8ft strips for $25-$31. Thats $3-$4 a foot! Why on earth is he charging $14 a foot in labor for a glue and clamp edge?

I am thinking about just ordering these, having the installer leave the edges bare, and installing myself. I am pretty handy at DIY stuff, and do not think this should be that hard. Is there something I am missing?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bevel Edge for Wlisonart HD Laminate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

If you've got a router and a 10" disk sander, you shouldn't have much problem:

Here is a link that might be useful: Fab and Install

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 11:19AM
Trebruchet

If not, you have to weigh the cost of the tools, bits, tape, and time/risk versus the cost he's charging you.

You can get a 10" disk sander from Harbor Freight for $100.00, a router and bit for $200.00 and let's say your time is worth nothing and you cut no pieces too short. That's $300.00.

That means you'll have to have 30LF of edge at the $10.00 per foot you're saving to break even if your time is worth nothing and you don't screw up anything. Anything less and you're losing money and anything more you're saving.

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 11:29AM
cblanco75

I have a router and bit, disk sander I can get from my GC. These would be flat, crescent edges so I don't need the dado cut. I have read the fabrication guide already. :)

Thanks! :)

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 1:01PM
Trebruchet

Here's a tip: Always start with the longest piece first, no matter what Wilsonart tells you. If you cut it too short, you may get a second chance without having to buy more material or make a butt joint.

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 8:48PM
cblanco75

Thats a good idea, trebuchet. We have a small island so I will start there.

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 2:52PM
More Discussions
Dishwasher location
How is the location of dishwasher determined? Left...
ourgeorgiahouse
Help w/ Bosch convection microwave auto chef settings
I needed a new microwave. Didn't need this fancy thing,...
rebunky
please share feedback merillat classic, eastman, armstrong
I've been looking for moderately priced cabinets. Please...
abekker
Thank you GW! I have RUNNELS!
My soapstone arrived today, and is now sitting on my...
oldhousegal
Glossy tiles in this Kitchen?
Please take a look at this kitchen layout and let me...
r2d2indy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™