What exactly am I missing ??? UCL

BerlinGirlDecember 15, 2012

Moved from the Lighting forum, appears to be no activity over there in the past week at all except for me...

Help please, I ordered these Kichler Lighting LED fixtures for my under counter lighting...thought I was getting everything, but I didn't. I can't source them locally I've found. (My KD had ordered some others from Lowes that were 1 1/2 inches high that I refused to let the electrician install and returned myself.) So what do I need now?? So I've got six of these and six holes and wiring drilled into my under cabinets now. I want them all connected with dimming capability and hardwired. Help...I am clueless and this is the last thing done in my kitchen remodel and my electrician is waiting to get to work. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
springroz

Your electrician doesn't know what's missing?

Nancy

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 8:18AM
BerlinGirl

No Nancy, he was looking over my shoulder when I ordered these from Amazon, he said it looked good to him. I am thinking now he is just used to installing the old fashioned under cabinet lights and doesn't have experience with these. This area is pretty much the end of the road (literally) and not many options due to living in a fairly rural state, but he was prepaid by my GC so I am doing my best to help this process along. (besides the fact DH and I are working 60+ hours a week at our jobs at this point in our lives where many our age are planning retirements) Even the KD I talked to a number of times about lighting didn't really understand the difference between warm and cool...I've been coming on here for answers...

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 8:56AM
badgergal

I have those same lights in a different color. When I saw the wire cable sticking out from the walls, I wondered how in the heck they lights would be installed without the wires showing and how they would all be connected to one switch since the cabinets were on two different walls.
After the cabinets were in the electrician did drill holes in the back bottom edge of the cabinet and pulled the wire through it. The electricians did provide the metal connectors the are pictured below. It does indicate on the Kichler website that accessories parts are needed for the lights. The metal connectors are the parts needed. Your electrician should have them or they are readily available at a hardware store.
Here is that part

And here is the connector installed

This picture shows how the electrician put the cable through from one cabinet to the next

Here is one of the lights installed. According to the Kichler installation instruction the lights are to be installed at the back of the cabinetry. Most people on this forum say that undercounter lights should be installed towards the front. We followed the manufactures instructions and I am very pleased with the light that the fixtures provide.

So I think any qualified electrician should be able to install you UC lighting correctly and have it work off a single switch. By the way, I decided not to bother with a dimmer and don't think it is really needed. I find the lights are plenty bright but not too bright that I would want them dimmed.
    Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 9:41AM
lazy_gardens

Do you need a transformer?

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 10:47AM
badgergal

Berlin girl, I just found the receipt for my Kichler UC lights and see that mine are a different model number than your. Mine are # 12056. They have a built in transformer. If yours don't have it built in then you will indeed need a transformer too. But again, any qualified electrician should be able to figure out what is needed. If yours can't, then it's time to find a different electrician

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 11:17AM
BerlinGirl

Thanks so much Badgergal!!! You have been a help! Thanks to davidtay too!!

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 7:14PM
ci_lantro

According to the info at Lighting Direct, you need a separate power supply and cables to interconnect the lights.

Here is a link that might be useful: More Info

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
Can you help me make an idea board?
After looking more realistically at our kitchen renovation...
dmeah
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
What wall oven under $2500 do you have and love?
What single wall oven <$2500 do you have and love?...
enzaenza
Have white marble counter on copper sink?
I am putting a white marble countertop on an undermounted...
sandmtn
Sponsored Products
Mid-century Modern 30-inch Webb Clock
Overstock.com
Citrus Bold Stripe Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Cypress Mission Sofa w/Sunbrella Cushions
Fifthroom.com
Coventry Media Stand
Grandin Road
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Oriental Weavers Rugs Grace Mariam Cream 1
$19.97 | Home Depot