Can we talk Corner Sinks??
I currently have a 42" corner sink cabinet with a 33" double bowl sink. In the new kitchen, I would like to add a second sink (also a corner sink) and move down to a 36" base. I have been scouring this forum and the internet in general in search of other people's corner sink setups and have come across some creative corner cabinets and sinks. I thought I would share those here for others who might be considering corner sinks.
This 46" cabinet by Omega Cabinetry has an 8" recess and bifold doors. I thought it was particularly clever.
And here is the drawing to see how they did it.
This corner sink looks pretty cool. I've never thought much of the "bat wing" design, but this I rather like. No angle cabinet required, though I have a hard time imagining what it would be like to work at - no parallel counter in front of you to lean on.
Here are a couple where the cabinet is recessed. My guess is those are at least 42" sink bases? Top one is from Bucks County Soapstone.
Vizslalover - I have had your corner sink picture in my "file" for a long time. If you're around, I'm curious what the little narrow cabinet is to the left of your sink. Can you open the oven door with someone at the sink if they scoot to the right a little?
And Buehl, is your prep sink in a 36" base? Same sort of question, can someone use the MW when someone else is at the sink? Do you have any filler between the two?
There are a few things that bother me about our current setup, and I'm trying to address those in the remodel:
- It is hard to use the cavernous space below efficiently...
That is one reason for moving to a 36" base. I'd rather have the 6" in a cabinet somewhere else in the run where the space can be better utilized.
- Even with our 42" sink base, we still can't really get more than one person at the sink...
So we're adding a second sink - we'll have one prep and one clean-up - and would like to use a 36" cabinet for both. This will give us more room elsewhere and it doesn't really change much in the way of accessiblity.
- Whatever is stored below is inaccessible to others when someone is at the sink (bad place for trash), and with corner sinks, it is harder to just shift out of the way...
I'm moving the trash out from under the sink to a cabinet that can be accessed even if someone is standing at either of the sinks. I'm also guessing that I shouldn't put the pull-out trash right next to the sink because with corner sinks, the accessibility of those cabinets is sometimes tricky as well if someone is at the sink?
Layout can be seen in this thread:
I'd also love to hear what other people's experiences are
- Anyone with a 36" corner sink cabinet for the main sink that thinks it is too small?
- Has anyone recessed the sink in a 36" cabinet?
- Any creative storage solutions for corner sink bases?
- What do you store under them? Seems like trash and cleaners often go under sinks. I store my Costco papertowel supply under our current one. Anyone storing cookware? Food?
- Do you have drawers or doors next to your corner sinks? How accessible are they when someone is at the sink? We have doors next to our sink currently, and with the hinge on the sink side, it is pretty accessible. I'm thinking about moving to drawers, though, and that might be a different story.
- If your corner sink is cleanup, where is your dishwasher in relation to it? Do you have a cabinet separating dw and sink or are they adjacent? Any filler?