What comes first?

emilyarthurDecember 2, 2012

My hardwood floors are being installed starting this Monday. Question: do I have the cabinets installed and then stain the floors? Or stain the floors and then install the cabinetry and range?

We are installing a 60" blue star, weighs 1,300lbs...contractor wants to stain and then install everything...painter/husband want to install everything and then stain. Who is right? The range is on legs so I think we have to stain first to properly stain floor under the range, right?

Thanks for the help!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mpinto

We put in cabinets then stained. Then put in the appliances. I don't knowmifmtheremis a wrong way.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 1:34AM
Poohpup

Our hardwood floors were refinished plus we added new flooring in our family room. The floors were sanded, stained and had two finish coats applied before cabinets were installed. Once the kitchen was finished, the final finish coat was applied to the floor. We had did a Swedish finish with three finish coats.

The contractor laid protection on the floors before they started working on the kitchen again and we didn't have any problems. Before they do the final finish coat, they lightly sand the floors again so they can take care of any miner scratches that might happen during construction. But you will want them to put something down to protect the floors while they work on the kitchen.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 1:39AM
breezygirl

This topic comes up every few months. I'll link a similar thread from September where I answered how we did it. (The OP isn't exactly what you're asking, but similar.) Generally, the consensus seems to be wood floor installed and stained first, then cabs. To me, this just seems so much easier and less risky. Plus, all of your floor is stained, not just what is visible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Similar thread with answers

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 1:25PM
emilyarthur

Thanks! I think we will have the floors done first...we've got to move this along!! Next week is 6 months without a kitchen!!!!

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
Kitchen finished! White cabs, quartzite, leathered black. Whew!
We moved into our new build about three weeks ago....
babs711
Karran quartz sink?
I really like the look and supposed durability of the...
oasisowner
Do I need an architect?
I have posted before about wanting to remodel my awful...
msmagoo
Kitchen update.
New cabinets - Natural Cherry - Ramsey Cabinets VA Soapstone...
arch123
Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?
I think dark hardwood floors look beautiful with off...
peemps
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™