Appliances too close!

ponyboatNovember 15, 2012

Hi, I am about to make an offer on a house that has a kitchen that was just remodeled. It is very nicely done, but unfortunately despite being a huge space, the cleaning and cooking area is crammed together. The range is on a center island, which is separated by 3 feet from the dishwasher, directly across. I don't want to do a major remodel, and since the granite is a very good quality, I would rather not move the range out of the island and onto a side wall which would require a new top on the island. Short of that, does anyone have a suggestion for how to make this kitchen flow better? I thought about moving the dishwasher, which would leave the granite intact, but then it is too far from the sink (there is a corner lazy susan cabinet I don't want to lose). FYI moving the island further away won't work as there is only 3 feet on the other side as well. I could only attach one photo but there is a wall with just cabinets and more countertop, no appliances, on the far wall. Would replacing the dishwasher with drawers help at all? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

I was thinking, "cool layout! Everything is convenient!".

I love having the sink and range close together--and the dishwasher. But there is the bloody shin issue. I would (and do) get the drawer dishwasher. It's nice to keep it open a little bit as you work. You just stick things in as you dirty them cooking.

Give it a try. You might find it's great. But I do agree the DW drawers would make it work better.

It's pretty enough that you can make it work. Make an offer! :)

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 12:48AM
buehl

IF you are considering moving the range out of the island...could you switch the base cabinet on the shorter wall with the range, put in a recessed butcher block counter in the island where the "hole" will be? You would have to cut into the counter on the short wall to fit the range, though.

Personally, I would not put in an offer b/c of two bigger issues - both relating to the range in the island:

(1) There is no venting above the range (that I can see, anyway). It would be expensive to put a range hood in at this point. Even if the range has a downdraft, I wouldn't want it - I've used a range w/a downdraft and the downdraft was not very effective (it was a Dacor range + downdraft - designed to work together & supposedly one of the best on the market.)

(2) An even bigger issue is the lack of an adequate "buffer zone" b/w the back of the range and the edge of the island...especially with such a narrow aisle behind the island! (I'd want at least 18", preferably 24" with such a narrow aisle...well, even with an adequate aisle I'd want 18" to 24"...)

Will there be only one person working in the kitchen at a time? This is really a one-person kitchen...

BTW...you can attach as many photos as you want to a post. Check out the "Read Me" thread. Scroll down to the "Posting Pictures" topic for more information about posting pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: New To Kitchens? Posting Pics? Read Me!

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 1:27AM
live_wire_oak

I would have to be replacing the island anyway. Because as pictured, it's a BIG safety hazard. (Not to mention the nastiness that that pendant (and everything else) will be accumulating because there is no vent! YECH!)

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 7:17AM
ponyboat

Thanks! I know it is hard to tell, but that pendant light is not directly over the stove, it is to the left. I would plan on replacing all the lighting in there with can lights. It's hard to tell from this photo, but I was actually thinking about swinging the island out and attaching it as a peninsula to the other bank of cabinets (the room is huge, there is a whole other section with a table in it). It would be like two L's - make a square out of your thumbs and index fingers, then pull your hands apart.

Buehl makes a good point about the safety zone behind the island. RIght now there is 6" of countertop behind the range, and then 3 feet of aisle between the island and the other counters. If I do the swingy thing, the back of that island becomes a peninsula, but it backs up to a 5 foot wide cased opening and about 8 feet of open floor space so should be good.

There is a downdraft, I have one now and hate them too. Totally useless. As it is electric which I also hate, at some point down the line I would replace it with gas and put a proper range hood in. The new placement off to the side would actually lend itself fine to a nice looking hood.

So I think I might make the offer...

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 1:40PM
buehl

"...If I do the swingy thing, the back of that island becomes a peninsula, but it backs up to a 5 foot wide cased opening and about 8 feet of open floor space..."

The only way to make it safer, is to have at least 18", preferably 24" of counter behind the range - are you planning to add that when you swing it around? A doorway is even worse w/inadequate spacing - coming around the door & running into the peninsula w/range could be a "surprise" to someone.

IF you also add seating, them make sure it has 24" of space behind the range.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 2:26PM
More Discussions
48 inch WOLF DF Range, Steamer, Wall oven
Hello, I need some advice since these are a huge investment...
hkwan
Anyone have experience with JSI rta cabinets? Essex or Dover?
I'm looking into this brand as suggested by a previous...
happyallison
Advice on first draft of kitchen layout
One change already is I may go with a cooktop, micro/convection...
happyallison
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
How can I improve this layout?
How can I change this layout and still keep the sink...
houserookie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™