Kitchen bench seating??

brookeecmNovember 28, 2012

We are planning to install an L-shaped floating bench, similar to the construction in the first picture. The reason we have chosen this construction is because the bench is being built over a baseboard heating unit.

Important to note is that, ours differs in that it will be counter-height--to go around our island. The bench's actual height will be 23" off the ground.

My husband noted today, that perhaps because our bench seat will be elevated higher than standard seat height, "stretchers" might be necessary. Stretchers are typically the bars situated between counter-height stools legs, located close to the bottom of the legs. These strips of wood help provide a place to rest your feet so they aren't dangling in midair.

Do we need stretchers to ensure comfortable seating? Are we dealing with a design flaw here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kirkhall

Well, I'd mock it up and see what you think when you sit 23" high. (But, yes, I think you might need stretchers to be comfortable.)

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 1:27AM
fouramblues

I didn't know they were called stretchers, but they're critical to my comfort. Found counter stools online that I loved, then went to sit on one in person, and the stretcher was too far back to be any help to me. The stools I did get are very comfortable for both me and DH. 23" seat height and 8.5" stretcher height. I'm 5'7" and DH is 5'11". YMMV.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 9:08AM
graywings123

Having your feet dangle for even a short length of time is uncomfortable.

It is hard to imagine a set-up with a bench attached to a wall while being close enough to an island to allow someone to comfortably eat or work on the counter. And everyone but the person on the end is stuck in place.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
Dishwasher location
How is the location of dishwasher determined? Left...
ourgeorgiahouse
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Kitchen finished! White cabs, quartzite, leathered black. Whew!
We moved into our new build about three weeks ago....
babs711
Did they sell me a bad piece of soapstone?
Hello soapstone owners: I paid $1,400 (including installation)...
leavemeout
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™