Removal of kitchen island surround

westrockNovember 2, 2013

We have cabinets installed in an island surround. We would like to remove much of the surround as it is too bulky. The questions is can we remove the surround including the upper bar section and still retain the cabinets?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

No posts at the corners, right?

Are you willing to patch or redo the floor? To panel the backs of the cabinets with a veneer? To do the electrical work to put the outlets on the sides of the cabinets? To replace the countertops? If you want an overhang, to create the structural support for that to happen?

Are you handy enough to do all of that DIY? Or do you have about 1-2K to hire it all done by a good finish carpenter, electrician, and counter fabricator?

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 9:34PM
Cindy103d

I wonder if there is wood flooring under the short walls. Would be an expensive job if there isn't floor there now and you can't find flooring to match. I can see why you'd like it to come down though. Would really open up the space.

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 6:42AM
westrock

The flooring was installed after the surround was framed in. The flooring will be replaced due to a dishwasher leak so that's why we're looking at adjusting the island. Starting to look like a can of worms though.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 12:15AM
Cindy103d

Definitely a can of worms, but now is the time to tackle the challenge if you have to replace the floor anyway. Your cabinets and counters look nice, but that space looks really outdated and will likely have an impact on resale if that is a potential concern.

You could eliminate the "L" and change it to an island, reusing the same cabinets - minus the corner cabinet - and make it more in tune with current kitchens. Replace with a coordinating or contrasting counter.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 7:09AM
More Discussions
Crack in Quartz countertop
I purchased my Quartz countertop 7 months ago and I...
avsheth2002
Where to keep my oil near cooktop
So I am in the layout phase and trying to figure out...
Dietitian
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Laminate seams around sink... Is this acceptable?
Hello everyone! I love reading these forums but have...
Summer Owen
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™