1960s 6' long Kitchen Sink - on Kijiji (like CL)

sochiNovember 13, 2011

Hi there,

Following up on remodelfa's amazing CL find, I came across an interesting sink on Kijiji today. Does anyone have an idea of what a used sink like that might be worth - I really don't have a clue. $500 seems crazy high for a used sink, but I don't know.

DH and I are currently shopping for a lot to build a smallish cottage (cabin) on. While we haven't found the right lot yet, I of course have already totally designed the cottage (well the preliminary inspiration for it at any rate). That sink would work in my plans for the cottage kitchen, but, I may not actually need a sink for 2 or 3 years! So I don't think I'll buy this one, but I'm interested to see what people think a big old used sink like that might be worth.

All thoughts welcome, thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: ad

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LottieS

No idea how much it is wort but we have one just like it in our faculty room at school!

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 9:45PM
desertsteph

wow - i love it! but I couldn't pay that much for it. might be worth it to some - especially if they have the money and would spend that much on a new 'new' one if going that route. Many people do spend that and more on a sink.

Several here have those old sinks in their new kitchens and will hopefully pop in and give an idea what theirs cost.

probably also depends on where you live and if many of those are available.

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 10:54PM
dianalo

I have the single version with one drainboard and love it. I wish I had the version you showed. Mine is from 1940 (I think we saw a stamp on the underside).
It will save you the cost of some counterspace because it is built in.
I really lucked out and got ours for free, but this could sell for more than $500 if it is in good condition.

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 11:16PM
jkom51

The value is it being in 'excellent' shape. A lot of these types of sinks have worn porcelain coatings because heavy abrasives (like the old-fashioned product, Comet cleanser) over many decades gradually destroyed the finish.

I had a single sink, single drainboard sink of this type. I LOVED this sink, and the only thing I wished was that it was a little deeper like modern sinks are. What I don't like about the one the ad is showing is that it's a small double sink.

We dislike double sinks, they don't work for our large cookware. We got rid of a Kohler 32" double sink for that reason.

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 11:44PM
sochi

Great advice, thanks. If it were cheaper I might just snap it up - although storing a no doubt very heavy 6' long cast iron sink may not be a simple matter. Great point about the counter space dianalo, I hadn't considered that. It is quite a sink...

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 11:45PM
dianalo

BTW - I was dying to use a real vintage sink cab like in the picture for our cleanup zone, but could not find one. I'd ask if that is included!

Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 12:19AM
More Discussions
Anyone used solid surface backsplash with granite countertops?
I am considering doing full backsplash in Corian (or...
Carol Vesier
Undermount sink keeps separating from granite
We recently had granite installed in our kitchen and...
stnjan
Baker Cherry Shaker doors vs IKEA Laxarby doors
Please advise on Baker doors. I am going to get IKEA...
enduring
Need floorplan advice/help
Hello everyone! Looking for floorplan advice on our...
K L
How much has your Danby Marble countertops scratched?
Still looking for he holy grail of countertops… back...
Pippin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™