Granite for outdoor kitchen

EllenMelNovember 3, 2012

We are just finishing construction on an outdoor kitchen. The installer did not glue or seal the seams on the granite countertop (Oyster Grey). Is this typical in an outdoor setting? I did see a posting on another site that said the epoxy which is normally used in seams will break down in the sun, therefore, should not be used in an outdoor setting. We live in Michigan, so it will be exposed to extreme weather.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chispa

I am one step behind you, having just bought the granite for our outdoor kitchen. I will be asking my fabricator this question now. We tore out an existing outdoor kitchen and granite. Now that I think about it some of the seams were just butted together and part of the seamed/glued on bullnose had fallen off, which would happen if the epoxy/glue broke down. I attributed the problems to poor construction and 10 yrs of use.

I bought 2 slabs to make sure my 12 ft section has no seams, but I don't want any seamed edge detail falling off in a few years!

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 1:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldryder

your seams should be epoxied. I am a fabricator in MN and we do outside kitchens all the time. If the seam is done properly (at worst the thickness of a razor blade) no appreciable amount of the epoxy is exposed to UV rays in any case.

the only qualifier I would add is that you might alternately use silicon for the seams if the construction is such that a lot of settling is expected such as a deck. If it's built on a foundation like a house then epoxy is OK.

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
Fell in love and threw away kitchen design
Gardenweb has been my savior as I struggle through...
beachem
General Contractor bid excessive?
I'm doing a forced remodel due to a flood and handling...
beachem
Alternate granite idea to replace Cambrian black I had been planning?
My DH is killing me. We are doing white cabinets and...
happyallison
Is this what a mitered granite edge should look like?
We paid our granite fabricators for a mitered granite...
snookers1999
Review our Kitchen Remodel
We are starting our first kitchen remodel and I wanted...
miraspasov
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™