Built-in fridge cab dimensions?

deedlesNovember 18, 2012

Specifically the front edge of the tall walls that surround the fridge. How wide does this have to be? Does there need to be face frame type trim on the front that is wider than the walls or can they just be the width of the walls?

Trying to fit 10# in a 5# bag, here. Every inch counts!


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you are talking about the cabinet panels they are usually 3/4 Inch wide. If you are building a surround for a full size refrigerator you will need the 30 inch deep panel. For counter depth frig order the 24 Inch deep panel.

Standard refrigerators are 36 wide. So with 2 panels on each side and the refrigerator you will need 37 1/2 inch of space for a built in frig look minimum. Your cabinet installer should be able to figure the install out for you. But you do have to plan and order the materials needed.

If it is next to the wall on either side you will want to allow for 3 - 4 inch spacer to allow for it to open enough to use it properly.

Full depth frig built in look

Traditional Kitchen design by San Francisco Architect Boor Bridges Architecture


Contemporary Kitchen design by San Francisco Architect John Lum Architecture, Inc. AIA

    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 11:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


I would find the specs from the fridge manufacturer and work outwards. Often you can get a pdf of the true dimensions.
If someone is designing your kitchen they should have the autocad file and be able to tell you with absolute certainty.

    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 11:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What I'm trying to figure is the face of the 3/4" panel. The edge, I guess is what I mean. Can that just be covered with veneer and then finished or does it need to be finished with a wider board like a face frame? That first pic you posted, RT... it looks like the front edge of the surround walls are just the 3/4" edge, right?

    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 11:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

A typical 3/4 edge will get edgebanded or get a thin face frame.
The edge is glued to the panel. Its oversized. Then its flushed to the exact width of the plywood, sanded and finished.

    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 12:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think it can be done many different ways space allowing. I have seen it with just the 3/4 inch panel and also with a 2 inch filler strip attached to the front edge extending past the panel on either side slightly, that gives it a bulkier look and more built in.

This is the built in look fridge my friend just had done in her kitchen. A 2 inch filler/spacer was put on the front of the 30 inch panel to "beef it up". On the wall side they have a 3 inch filler strip. Her cabinets are full overlay and the spacer does make it look like they are partial overlay. I guess the trade off for a built in look with out custom cabinetry. She also has a piece of filler under the cabinet to fill the gap above the refrigerator so when she buys anew refrigerator she can have the filler trimmed if necessary for the new refrigerator.

    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 12:58PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Silestone Lagoon... Which one is the real deal????
I am experiencing the typical paralysis by analysis...
Anna Pensgen
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
White Kitchens & Two Tone Kitchens?
Even though I know I sound very indecisive (sorry),...
Old World vs. Classic Kitchen--trying to figure out what I want
For the last several months I have been using the below...
Best type of rug to protect hardwood floors in kitchen?
I found an older thread which discusses choices of...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™