Tumbled stone backsplash in kitchen

merrymariNovember 17, 2012

Hi,

I am looking for tiles for a new backsplash. We recently installed a granite countertop and refaced our cabinents. I love the look of tumbled stone but my samples are full of "nooks and crannies" . How are these tiles cleaned since they will surround the cooking areas?

Thanks, Mari

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catbuilder

The nooks and crannies get filled with grout. Depending on what color grout you choose, it can dramatically alter the appearance of the tile.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 8:43PM
gr8daygw

Those aren't as popular as they once were for that very reason. There are many other types now that are smooth. My tile person tells me they are much more in demand nowadays than the ones with crannies. I found some at the tile store and they are very pretty. Here's a pic of when I was trying to match some tiles to my mother's granite.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 10:07PM
Poohpup

All those nooks and crannies are filled with grout and then sealed. I had tumbled stone BS in the kitchen of my previous home and it was smooth and easy to clean. I found that the grout filling all those nooks and crannies gave the stone a much softer look. Definitely want to pay careful attention to the grout color. I love the look.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 6:14AM
More Discussions
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
2LittleFishies Yellow Kitchen Reveal !!! LONG!
OK, here is my finished yellow kitchen thread! Can't...
2LittleFishies
Beam in Kitchen - Wine rack?
We are doing a kitchen remodel. We have 8 ft ceilings....
neubz
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
Freaky photo issue!
I just tried to start a new thread and attempted to...
debrak_2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™