Honed quartzite anyone?

lisa0527November 7, 2011

After months of searching, and giving up, and almost pulling the trigger on a quartz countertops order, there they were! The most gorgeous slabs of Madreperola quartzite. I held my floor and cabinet samples up to them and it was magic...perfect. I can have them either honed or polished. I've seen lots of polished quartzite on this site, but no honed. Anyone have any experience with this? Or thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
babushka_cat

i got a sample honed, it was beautiful. i ended up going with marble but the honed madre perle was a close second.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 9:35PM
dianalo

No way you should post this without pix! (hint, hint)

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 9:52PM
lisa0527

I know, I know...I'm just so painfully technologically challenged. I promise once I have something definite to show you I'll make a real effort to master posting pics.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 10:08PM
lisa0527

babushka cat...do you remember any concerns about etching with the honed madreperola? Did you lemon rest it by any chance? My fabricator is happy to supply it honed but is a little clueless when it comes to quartzite...don't think he's very experienced with it and has little advice to give.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 11:16AM
babushka_cat

i did not test it that far as the madreperla was too grey for me so i moved on to marble. i have seen on this site postings of quartzite etching but think it is not as prevelant as etching to marble. search this site for more info. i finally concluded if i was going to select a product that was prone to etching i might as well get what i want -marble! i would say get a sample honed and have at it. and search this site for more reports on etching on quartzite for accurate assessments by owners.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 1:51PM
jgopp

My sample rock from the yard wasn't polished yet. I thought about doing a honed counter but ended up going with the polished because the honed looked too...well for lack of better words 'dull'. I would have probably gone with marble if I wanted that look, it feels warmer to me. I have superwhite btw.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 2:51PM
Kiwigem

I'm bumping this because I found my quartzite slab (whaddya think?!) and it just occurred to me that honed might look nice with the soapstone I'm pairing it with. Wondering if more people have tried it and if it affects the durability at all?

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 3:31PM
lcskaisgir

Just wanna say....that is one gorgeous slab! Is it calacatta quartzite?

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 3:38PM
Kiwigem

icskaisgir- thanks! It's labeled as white macaubas but it is absolutely indiscernible from calacatta marble. They may use the name "calacatta quartzite" other places. I hear the same material gets different names from place to place. It's so similar to the marble I'm going to be very aggressive with my tests just to make sure there's no mistake!

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 3:45PM
lcskaisgir

The kind with the linear pattern is the one that is more commonly called macaubas and the more swirly, veiny pattern is usually called calacatta quartzite. Although I've seen either of them called the other also. They are the same stone, one is just crosscut and the other is not. I have the same stone in my kitchen! It is very durable!

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 4:52PM
karin_mt

*swoon!*

Good that you are ready to do the tests, smart shopper!

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 5:15PM
Kiwigem

That's interesting. At our stoneyard they call them white Macaubas vein cut and cross cut. Good information for shopping around!

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 5:24PM
More Discussions
Under cabinet mixer shelf
Does anyone have a built-in under cabinet mixer shelf...
ryseryse_2004
10 cm gap between cabinets and steel - help!
Hi all, Our kitchen designers have messed up their...
waytonc
Market Collection Luxe or Mosaix online?
Does anyone know where I can buy Market Place Luxe...
marcmargolis926
Alternate granite idea to replace Cambrian black I had been planning?
My DH is killing me. We are doing white cabinets and...
happyallison
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™