SS Double sink 60/40 vs. 70/30

shannon319November 11, 2010

Could someone please give me the pros and cons of having a double bowl sink in these sizes? Is the small side of the 70/30 split too small? What do you use that side for?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blonde1125

I just installed a Ticor 60/40 and love it. I too went back and forth between the 60/40 and 70/30. I just couldn't do a single bowl sink. When I actually measured it out the small side of the 70/30 was just too small for me. I mostly use the smaller side to air dry things I don't put in the dishwasher. The larger side is plenty big enough to get a cookie sheet or larger pan to soak or wash.
Hope you find a sink that works for you.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 8:15PM
shannon319

Thanks...I really want a side big enough for just about anything, but I want a second bowl for "not so yucky" stuff. No prep sink, BTW.

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 9:52AM
shannonplus2

I think this decision really depends on the size of your cabinet base. What size is yours? If it is at least 36", then the 60/40 is a better choice. If the cabinet base is smaller, then 70/30 might be better so that you have at least ONE bowl that is a good size for soaking roasting pans, cookie sheets, etc. The 60/40 configuration in a smaller cabinet base may leave you with two bowls with neither being large enough.

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 11:12AM
buehl

70/30 vs 60/40 is not what should decide the sink...what are the actual bowl sizes? For example, my 70/30 Ticor sink has 21-1/2" and 10-1/2" bowls...both large enough to be useful. It's in a 36" sink base. To me, a 60/40 would have made the large bowl too small for my pans, etc. I wanted the "best of both worlds"...a bowl big enough for my pots & pans, etc. but two bowls. The small bowl is small enough for "small jobs" and to soak things in.

So, what sink are you looking at?

Here are examples of what the Ticor S405D will handle...

Small bowl fits my 8qt stock pot:

But it's small enough to serve as a "utensil" catchall and easy enough to fill for soaking (and less water than a larger bowl plus no dish bin to try and find storage space for when not in use)...

Large bowl big enough for my longest cookie sheet, all my pots & pans including their handles, all my refrigerator bins & shelves (except the 32" or so meat/deli drawer), all the components of my rangehood (for cleaning)...

Several bowls, etc.

And fits in a 36" sink base without modifications...

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 12:57PM
shannon319

I am looking at a Ticor 60/40 split

Ticor S105-8R Undermount 16 G Stainless Steel Double-Bowl Kitchen Sink

small bowl is 13.5 x 16 inches and the large bowl is 17.75 x 18.5 inches. I would also love a huge bowl on one side like yours, but here's where I hesitate on the 70/30 split...we usually just handwash large pots and pans and then leave them to air dry. I would prefer to let them dry in the small side on the grid vs. on the counter. I'm afraid there wouldn't be enough room in the small side to let them dry.

Thanks for all the pictures, buehl, they are very helpful!

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 8:24PM
PRO
modern life interiors

bump

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 10:04AM
shannon319

anyone else?

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 3:06PM
shannon319

Ordered the Ticor 60/40 from GTS. Ordered on Sunday evening, arrived on Thursday. Also got a special order faucet from HD (Delta Leland), it came in 2 DAYS shipped directly to my house! Very happy with the sink so far, can hardly wait to get it hooked up!!!

Bookmark   November 19, 2010 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
Please help me decide on kitchen wall cab elevations
We have a 10 foot sloped ceiling (10 feet where the...
veroni2413
How can I improve this layout?
How can I change this layout and still keep the sink...
houserookie
am I being too picky?
Ok, is my perfectionism is out of control..... I bought...
bicyclegirl1
Anyone recognize these cabinets?
From a Cancos tile ad. Cancos says they have no info....
jenmendel23
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™