Newbie with questions about layout

onlygirl73November 22, 2012

Can I just say how thrilled I was to stumble across this forum whilst navigating a very dull google search!!! Anywhoo...I am at the very early planning stage of a kitchen gut and renovate and am struggling with some layout questions. The kitchen is currently a galley style open on one end to the dining room which is overlooked by a living room. The opposite end has a low window (18 inches from floor). The front door of the house is on the same window wall with a 4ft divider wall between them (thinking about removing) and the main hall runs parallel to the kitchen opening in the dining room and butting up into the stairs going up. I am attaching some mock up drawings of some layouts I am considering (I must have 15 variations) and I would LOVE some feedback! Questions? Shoot!!! I am anxious for help :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
onlygirl73

Sorry about this but not sure how to post multi pics :)

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 6:43PM
onlygirl73

Another option...

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 6:45PM
onlygirl73

and another...

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 6:46PM
onlygirl73

that's it for now...

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 6:48PM
onlygirl73

Some pics of the current layout.

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 7:33PM
onlygirl73

opposite wall

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 7:34PM
onlygirl73

oops :( sorry

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 7:36PM
onlygirl73

from the window end (sorry about the clutter!)

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 7:38PM
debrak_2008

If you haven't already, read the "new to kitchens" thread that bounces around but is usually on the 1st page.

One of the diagrams shows "no drawers" in the base cabinets. Why? I would make all the bases, all drawers, where possible.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 7:24AM
boops2012

Couple of things putting the Dw on the end by an entrance might be a hazard for people when open.But the again, I'm kinda klutzy. On the last plan, I think codes are-you need 18in of landing space on each side of cook top. I'm sure others with much more knowledge will chime in.But so far, my vote is for the #3 plan.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 9:36AM
Angie_DIY

I like the last one (Nov 22, 12 at 18:48) the best. Some of my most important criteria are:
-having enough room between range and sink, but...
-not having to cross aisle between range and sink.

That last plan (but, I think, none of the others) fulfills them.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 11:29AM
onlygirl73

ugh... so frustrated with this initial phase! I am attaching a look I really like and would love to replicate as best I can, however I do not have an actual window in the counter areas only one at the end where the banquette is in the diagram #2. I am thinking I could simply do a pass thru to the dining area and hang a decorative old lead glass window with a free standing shelf under it on the pass thru counter as a compromise? Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: cute kitchen goal

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 7:03PM
onlygirl73

So this is my latest incarnation...I love everything about it but am a tiny bit worried that the distance between runs is too far at 7.5 feet from fridge wall to range wall. Each square is 6" on the diagram so 2 squares = 1ft. Any thoughts? Suggestions??? Thanks all :)

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 3:15PM
onlygirl73

I am struggling with the ikea online planner as it keeps crashing my computer just when I get to the end of the design! UGH... anyway, my hubby has been out of town for 7 weeks and returns tomorrow morning to begin this process with me. Does anyone have any advice/thoughts on this most recent design? I am going with IKEA for the budget but also for the range of products available. White cabs, wood and white counter, wood floors, shabby chic decor throughout the open rest of the home. I have been checking out many threads and am finding excellent inspiration but could use some back-up on my design ideas. Please and thank you!!!

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 6:54PM
onlygirl73

Bump :)

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 1:09PM
rosie

Onlygirl, your kitchen seems to be moving out into the rest of your floor plan. Is that a good thing? It'd be really helpful if you posted your entire living area so people can see the relation of spaces. Your cottage style is charming and should be very doable with Ikea. Ours isn't that different, with white lower cabs only and wood counters.

Without knowing nearly enough, I'd probably go with a really good galley (hard to beat for function) with a spacious main work counter between sink and stove on one side and fridge and storage on the other, conceivably with a cleanup center over there too. Instead of a breakfast area, since there's a dining room right there--and since we're empty nesters, I'd have a sitting area on the window end with very cushy, inviting seating and a small table for drinks and snacks.

So, what are YOUR needs here?

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
Cabinet installation cost (not including cabinets themselves)
We are remodeling our kitchen (complete gut and changing...
schiari211
What does this tile say to you?
I am still in the planning stages of a small, U-shaped...
kelleg69
top cutlery tray on Kitchen Aid Dishwasher
Is the extra (3rd) cutlery tray on the higher model...
ladypie
what metal finish with a Chambers stove?
I'm planning a kitchen remodel. I already have my white...
mccb1
Sponsored Products
Marina Algae Magnet Cleaner - 11021
$21.99 | Hayneedle
Marina Multi-Vac Battery Powered Cleaner - 11004
$41.99 | Hayneedle
Marina Cool Gravel Cleaner - 11058
$21.99 | Hayneedle
Marina Cool Air Pump - 11135
$22.99 | Hayneedle
Marina 3 in 1 Guppy Trap - 10933
$20.99 | Hayneedle