Loving My Interim Makeover

aloha2009November 10, 2013

Frustrated with the current layout, my DH and I decided to make a mini makeover to tie us over until we take the full plunge of knocking walls down etc next spring/summer.

All we did was exchange out the frig with the cabinets next to it and WOW what a functional and aesthetic improvement! I now have a 7.5' long counter and moved the frig out of being the "centerpiece" position of the kitchen. It visually opened things up dramatically (we're estimating about 50%). We had the same countertop as the rest of the kitchen (except the edging) in our garage.. We did lose a semi functioning ice cube maker in the process but being we don't use that much ice anyway and the dispenser was broken, it hasn't been missed.

You don't get the full feeling of how much more open it feels IRL but I know pics help to explain things.

Total Cost = ZERO in materials and about 6 hours of our time.

We had started to remove cabinets drawers before I realized we needed some before pics.

Relatively the same angle (a tad blurry though). Though I increased the counter from 5' to 7.5' it's like a gained a whole prep area because now, I like prepping there (my prep area has been by the DW).

We still want to open up the kitchen more to the great room, have island seating, add the 2 windows, get the sink out of the angled corner, have all drawer bases and better venting but at least I like my kitchen and it isn't frustration every time I even look into the kitchen.

This post was edited by aloha2009 on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 8:58

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cindy103d

Amazing how such a little change can make a huge difference in functionality.

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 7:09PM
liriodendron

Your change really illustrates the principle of not unnecessarily allowing counter runs to be broken up by tall items or a obssessive focus on symmetry that divides counters into two equal, but much-less useful halves.

When in doubt, Go Long!

Liriodendron.

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 8:00PM
juddgirl2

It looks much better! You have a wonderful space to work with with great windows and so much natural light.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 2:12AM
suzanne_sl

What a great idea! It's amazing what a little re-thinking and a goodly amount of elbow grease can do.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 5:30AM
heidihausfrau

Wow! That makes a huge difference.. What a great idea.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 7:20AM
chiefy

wow, what a difference! I'd have been terrified of not being able to rehang the cabinets properly or somehow breaking the fridge. Kudos for jumping right in and making such a quickie fix with dramatic improvement.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 10:25AM
aloha2009

I knew that others on GW would appreciate my excitement, even if it wasn't the finished product.

It was so freeing to make the decision to move forward and just do it. Knowing it's only temporary & it was at no cost, makes decisions a heck of lot easier.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 8:38PM
tinan

Great job, it looks so much bigger!

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 11:31PM
elphaba_gw

Big improvement! Looks like you've created space where there was none before. Magical

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 12:10AM
rebecca3142

Yay - What a smart change!

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 12:39AM
tea4all

Terrific change! You were so clever to think of that and actually DIY. So much more functional. Great job!

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 8:12AM
More Discussions
Would this open shelf look OK between the wall oven and range hood?
I need a quick decision made so DH can carry on with...
laughablemoments
Tiny Galley Kitchen: Layout feedback needed
We've decided we're staying in our current house forever....
ant_farmer
Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really?
I know... undermount is more popular these days --...
mudworm
scrappy25 renovation Part 4, final reveal, white inset/soapstone
Finally got some "completed" pictures, please...
scrappy25
Alternate granite idea to replace Cambrian black I had been planning?
My DH is killing me. We are doing white cabinets and...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™