Need more granite advice!

soibeanNovember 10, 2012

I thought I had found the perfect granite for me - looking for a white-based granite with a lot of movement. I love the look of marble and super-white with white cabinets and want a similar look but with something that doesn't etch or stain.

Anyway, I found a granite called white ice, and today I took a sample door with me to see how it looked together. I also have a small sample of stained cherry that we will be using for the island.

When I saw it together I got nervous that the granite base color isn't white enough when paired with the whiteness of the cabinets. I'm wondering if others think that this is a good match, or that it will look off when seen together. My husband now wants to go for a dark granite with less movement, which he sees as a safer choice. Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deedles

I think it looks nice with both the color samples. On my monitor, at least. It's a pretty granite.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 7:45PM
chloe.chloe

To be honest, I don't think that granite is the best choice with either cabinet. I agree with you in regards to liking the white on white look though. Have you looked at any of the following: Delicatus, White Spring, Alaska White?
To me, the sample looks like it has more of a cream base with gray & black veining.....doesn't seem to do anything for your cabs.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 11:48PM
soibean

Thanks, chloe, I am worried about the creaminess of the granite. I have looked at all the other whites, but they are not my taste. I prefer veining movement to the blotchiness of most granites. I can't think of another white-based granite that I like, except occasionally Piracema Light, but the lots I have seen so far are also not white enough underneath.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 8:49AM
msrose

It might help you do look at Pipdog's kitchen. She has bright white cabinets and a creamy countertop.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pipdog's kitchen

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 9:41AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Did you look at akdo? They have a number of whites including this very unusual white macaubus

Here is a link that might be useful: Akdo granite slabs

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 9:53AM
soibean

I have seen some people use calacatta macaubas/white macaubas quartzite - what is the cost of these relative to a mid-range granite? I know there are regional variations, curious about relative pricing.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 2:14PM
herbflavor

I think the green family of granite options would be fantastic with the dark island and very white perimeter....are you sold on whites??

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 2:56PM
soibean

I'm pretty set on white. I've had Uba Tuba for the last 9 years and I'm ready for a change. From what I can tell, the quartzites are going to be out of my price range for sure.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 3:00PM
ellendi

If you are set on white cabinets than don't choose that granite.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 7:44AM
msrose

I found a picture of White Ice granite on white cabinets.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 9:03AM
soibean

Thanks, msrose, that's very helpful!

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 9:11AM
    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
Silgranit sink color for Alaska White granite?
In the ever-changing world that is my new build, I...
beeps
Can you please take a look at my layout?
I'm currently getting quotes for cabinets and want...
Carolyn
Conestoga: Madison door with beaded inset?
Has anyone done or seen the Madison door on beaded...
akaypick
Do I need an architect?
I have posted before about wanting to remodel my awful...
msmagoo
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™