Island overhang

sdishiiNovember 30, 2012

Our island is 9'x4' we have 24"cabs and then 12" cabs on seating side, both the cabinet people and the granite installers say a 12 inch overhang is completely fine, the cabinets are in already and there is no where to put corbals. Is a 12" overhang fine with 3 cm granite or even 2 cm granite ( my husband likes the 4 cm edge)? If this could crack, should we do a 10" overhang instead with 2 or 3cm?
I have heard that at least 70% of counter needs to be under cabinets, (that would mean 12" would work)is this true though?
Thanks for all your help, there is so much conflicting info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2LittleFishies

My island is 9x4 as well. We are doing a walnut top with a 15" overhang. Many have said 12" is fine but in reality more is better. I think whether or not the island is counter height or bar height makes a difference too. I think with bar height you can get away with less overhang. Also will you be eating at the island regularly?

Our cabinet maker insisted we do a skirt around the seating area. I didn't want corbels to get in the way so we removed them from the plan. Stone is even heavier so you want to make sure you have great support.

I can't imagine not having any kind of support under the 12". I don't know all the rules about this though. I do know that people lean on the edge - even to get up from sitting- and I'd think there would be a possibility of your stone cracking.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 9:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakuvall

12" does not require support in 3cm, but I think it looks better with some sort of support.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
My Kitchen Renovation Using Scherr's RTA Cabinets Begins
We start demolition on Monday. We have been actively...
homechef59
Wolf oven error on self clean: TCO detect as open
I've had two Wolf E series for nearly 2 years (single...
repac
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™